Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2018 06:00

d830 laptop does not recognize new solid state hard drive

hello!... my hard drive on my dell d830 laptop stopped working... so i bought a brand new solid state hard drive to replace it with but the laptop does not recognize the new solid state hard drive on the bios... i changed the setting from ATA to AHCI... initialized and formatted new hard drive before i installed it but no luck... any help would be greatly  appreciated!... thanks in advance!... oz

2.3K Posts

May 4th, 2018 10:00

I think the problem is because your laptop is so old, the BIOS doesn't recognize the controller on the SSD as being valid. Also this laptop is either SATA 1 or 2 so you won't get full speed on the SSD in the first place. I would find a nice 7200rpm HDD or even SSHD to give you a boost in performance.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 5th, 2018 03:00

I think it's more likely the SSD is 7 mm in height, where this system is designed for a 9.5 mm hard drive.  The connector on the drive is likely not mating with the mainboard connector.  An inexpensive shim should fix the problem.

There's no reason an SSD won't work with this system - these have completely standard SATA interfaces, and simply appear as a hard drive would -- once they're connected and recognized by the system. 

This is the type of adapter you'll need:

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-7mm-9-5mm-Spacer-Adapter/dp/B014LQM6I2

May 14th, 2018 03:00

Hi ejn63!... Your suggestion worked!... Thank You So Much!...  Oz  :BigSmile:

1 Message

May 11th, 2019 01:00

You are correct - yet its a solid state drive which has no fear of vibration and issues no heat

All one has to to do is place a sheets of cut  thick paper like at the bottom of a notepad and you are off to the races

It amazes me how a lot of these little kids have no common sense at all and even less appreciation for the rugged durable nature of these not too old solid business quality laptops and also what high quality core 2 duo not so old laptops which are excellent value even now

On top of that why not update the bios as a try if that is the issue

No Events found!