Go to Solution

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 30th, 2023 07:00

used latitude e5540 acting strange

image.jpg

I bought this dell latitude  from a 3rd party and when I booted it for the first time it said the AC adapter  couldn’t be identified. Then it doesn’t charge up and a months later which is now it does a temporary battery error indicator(?) (it blinks 4 times in amber, and then for half a second it goes white and then the other half turns off the light and it repeats again) should I see what happens 

EDIT: if the laptop first starts up it’s very slow. the sounds weird

CPU: ~8-20
Disk 0: 100%

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

The blinking appears to indicate a failed battery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Battery status lights

If the computer is connected to an electrical outlet, the battery light operates as follows:

Alternately blinking amber light and white light
An unauthenticated or unsupported non-Dell AC adapter is attached to your laptop.
Alternately blinking amber light with steady white light
Temporary battery failure with AC adapter present.
Constantly blinking amber light
Fatal battery failure with AC adapter present.
Light off
Battery in full charge mode with AC adapter present.
White light on
Battery in charge mode with AC adapter present.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, as you can't reliably charge it, that could be the problem. And we know there is another problem since your AC adapter is not recognized.

There is likely a fault with at least one of three items:

• the AC adapter
  • the charging jack
  • the charging circuit on the motherboard

It's a process of elimination to figure out where the problem lies, or at least where it doesn't lie. For example, if your AC adapter is recognized and works on another Dell laptop, then the problem is likely your charging jack or charging circuit.

Check if the light is lit at the plug end of the AC adapter or on the adapter block. And see if that light remains lit when you plug it into the laptop's jack. If the AC adapter's light goes dark when you plug it into the laptop, then the fault is likely with the jack or the circuit. 

Try another genuine Dell AC adapter of at least the same wattage/amperage. If that second Dell AC adapter works, then the fault is likely with your AC adapter. If it doesn't work, then the fault is likely with the jack or the circuit. The jack is a relatively inexpensive item that is not difficult to replace for someone experienced in working on laptops.

If a good AC adapter and a new jack won't work, then the fault is likely with the charging circuit on the motherboard, which would normally require replacement of the motherboard.

Also, it's worth trying a reset:

1. Disconnect all peripherals: printers; USB devices; media cards; USB hubs and extenders; etc.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter.
  3. Disconnect the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual electricity.
  5. Reconnect the AC adapter 
  6. Reboot the laptop. (first, try this without reconnecting the battery)

There is a centre pin in the adapter's plug (the end that connects to your laptop's jack/port). If that centre pin is broken or bent, then that is the cause. If it's bent, you could try gently to straighten it. If it's not bent, clean out the connector with Q-tip and 99% alcohol, and do the same to the jack.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

sorry the AC adapter not the battery. Apologize

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

it says no battery present (it’s lit AC adapter light)

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

May 30th, 2023 08:00

I am thinking of getting a AC adapter of the laptop. If that doesn’t work I will respond

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

May 30th, 2023 08:00

I added the battery status light diagnostic codes, from the Latitude E5540 Owner's Manual, to my post.

In any event, you cannot possibly have done everything that I suggested. Work through that and then see what results you get. For thorough testing to narrow down the issue, you will need access to another Dell AC adapter and/or another Dell laptop.

No Events found!