Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2015 07:00

Battery drain in suspend mode

Hey all,

I am using the XPS 13 with Ubuntu 14.04 and upgraded the kernel to version 3.19. Except for what seem to be the usual touchpad/keyboard issues everything seemed to be going fine. Now all of a sudden the battery life has greatly decreased and the laptop completely drains a full charge of battery while in suspend mode for 7 hours. Does anyone have a similar issue?

I don't quite know whether this is where the issue originates, but since I had some issues with the laptop not waking up properly from suspend I installed the deb files Dell provided at http://www.dell.com/support/article/SLN297551/en , and ever since then the battery life has been problematic. Does this have anything to do with the thermald/intel_powerclamp modules that user MRC01 noted seem to be counterproductive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

36 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 08:00

Is your Bluetooth icon in the top bar lit up, or is it greyed out? If you don't use Bluetooth, click on the icon, then click on the power switch in that menu to turn Bluetooth off. My runtime estimates drop at least an hour when Bluetooth is on vs. off. The Broadcom card may not be going into full sleep.

Check that the computer is actually going into suspend. I set mine to "Do Nothing" when the lid is closed. It will lock the desktop, but the screen stays on. Under Settings --> Power, there are two settings for lid closed action.

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 08:00

My bluetooth is off by default and the computer is set to go to sleep, yes. In the beginning this was working fine and I didn't explicitly change any settings since then, I only installed a few updates as described.

31 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 11:00

Did you check /var/log/pm-suspend.log to see if it was actually suspended? syslog can also be useful. These laptops sometimes get awake with the lid closed (It happened once to me).

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 12:00

I looked, but I couldn't find any relevant info for that day. I'll keep checking though, thanks for the pointer. It happened to me once (but not this time) that the laptop didn't properly suspend, but then it really heated up, so I noticed at some point that something was off...

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 15:00

I now tried again - over the course of an hour of suspend the laptop lost nearly 10% of battery power, which never happened before. I checked the logs and the suspension seems to have worked fine. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I don't understand what's going on.

2 Posts

December 16th, 2017 11:00

In my experience this laptop has that rate of battery drain even with it is completely switched off.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2019 02:00

I have both the XPS 13" 2018 and the X1 Carbon. Both exactly the same version of ubuntu, same config. 

X1 suspended does not consume battery, the XPS drains in hours :(

33 Posts

February 13th, 2019 07:00

I implemented the deep sleep described in this post (for my 9370) and it took battery usage in suspend from about 10%/hour to about 1%/hour.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8b6eci/xp_13_9370_battery_drain_while_suspended/

No Events found!