Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2016 10:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 + Linux + Thunderbolt 3/USB-C

Hi all. I've been following these forums for a few weeks hoping to find a solid solution to my problem. Through my searching and browsing, it seems like there are numerous people mentioning the same or similar issue, but so far I can't seem to find any concrete solutions or knowledge from the community or from Dell. I'm hoping this post is more on-topic and provides more detail for the issue so we can better diagnose it and find a solution.

First though, the issue. I'm running the 2016 Dell XPS 13 9350 with an external Dell 4K monitor (P2415Q) using the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 output with an adapter to mDP. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 with 1.4.4 BIOS, and 4.7 mainline kernel. All drivers were updated as of two weeks ago prior to wiping Windows and installing Linux.

The external is recognized (i.e., it shows up in both xrandr and in Display settings) but the picture never remains. It will appear briefly, maybe for a few seconds or so, but then the screen goes black. I'll add that the external doesn't turn off (or go to sleep), but it doesn't display anything and is still shown in settings.

I've read that this could be related to ACPI power modes, namely RC6 with Skylake processors. I've tried appending a line to my kernel to disable RC6 entirely, but that doesn't seem to work. Along these lines, I've also read that this does fix some instances and this patch will be included in the 4.8 mainline kernel update (it's in RC2 right now, so soon?).

Admittedly the adapter I'm using is a $20 "cheapo" from Amazon, though the vendor does say it supports 4K at 60Hz (but I guess vendors can say whatever they want). I've been hearing positive things about Google's adapter, but don't want to shell out the $40 until I've narrowed the problem to the adapter. From the numerous other posts from folks using various adapters all whom are experiencing the same issues, I'm led to believe the adapter isn't the culprit.

I've also read that there could be some conflict with the wireless adapter, and that reducing its power stabilizes things. Unfortunately, reducing the power of my wireless adapter does not fix the issue, and even if it did, it is a suboptimal solution as it slows my connection considerably.

Some questions I'm hoping to get answers for are:

* is this a known issue and are my experiences on par with others, or are things slightly different?
* does Dell know about this issue, and are they working on a solution? I'm totally OK waiting for a solution, it'd just be nice to know one was being actively worked on
* is there a problem with the hardware? Is this Dells problem and I should return my device?
* is there some hidden driver update out there that fixes this issue (that's for Linux, not Windows)?
* has anyone found a temporary solution that does work?

I would like to scope this conversation to linux operating systems using external displays via the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 connector, to hopefully keep it on-topic.

Thank you all in advance. I hope this thread proves useful to many.

18 Posts

August 16th, 2016 21:00

Thank you for your post, hopefully we can keep it on-topic.

I am afraid that I can not help you with how to make it work, but I can share that I had no luck using neither these two adapters [1] [2].

I have tried different displays (including P2415Q) without success. USB-C to HDMI adapters work though (but I'd prefer to use DP so I could in theory get 60Hz in 4k)

Could anybody answer the questions posted by FULLONUTS? Has anybody being successful using USB-C to DP in a 2016 XPS developer edition?

System info:

2016 Dell XPS 13 9350, Ubuntu 16.04 and kernel 4.4.0-34 

[1] https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Adapter/dp/B00X4S5C7G/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471405434&sr=1-1&keywords=cable+matters+usbc+thunderbolt

[2] www.amazon.com/.../ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

15 Posts

August 17th, 2016 12:00

Thanks for replying. I tried 4.8RC2 kernel last night, but had no success. However, xrandr does report the external monitor along with appropriate resolutions (including 60Hz) and interestingly the 60Hz line was marked with *+ which means it's both the set and preferred settings.

Clearly the hardware recognizes the external and even its capabilities.

I'm beginning to think that the issue has more to do with the adapters or hardware, and more to do with the power management. It seems as though the XPS doesn't quite understand how to consistently power the PCIe port in the Thunderbolt connector. This may explain why one second I see my desktop on the external and the next I don't.

The flickering is inconsistent too. It isn't a fast flicker, it's a slower flicker. The display may be on and working for ten seconds, then cut out for a few, then back on for another ten, then back out for thirty seconds, etc. Very strange. But could be related to power management.

Maybe this sparks some ideas for someone?

7 Posts

August 20th, 2016 19:00

and the forgotten link was [1] www.dell.com/.../research

7 Posts

August 20th, 2016 19:00

Hi,

I have the same issues with my XPS 13 DE 9350, Ubuntu 16.04, Kernel 4.7. I'm using the Dell DA200 adapter [1] so I doubt it has to do with cables or adapters as it seems a common problem across adapters and cables.

In my case, when using HDMI, the second monitor (or tv) is recognized but no signal is sent to it. When using VGA, nothing is recognized. Dell ProSupport suggested upgrading the Thunderbolt controller and firmwire, but my understanding is that this requires Windows (different to the BIOS update that could be done directly in Ubuntu). Enough to say that my laptop never had Windows so I have no idea how to do the upgrade (the laptop was Ubuntu-loaded at factory). After I pointed this out, the reply was "This is as much as we can do"... which is not what I was expecting from "Pro"Support.

66 Posts

August 24th, 2016 16:00

I have this setup. Running fc24 with rawhide kernel which is 4.8rc2 for the moment. 4.8 had alot of i915 updates to it so I hope they update the updates soon. I run  wayland but also use x11 and both show multi-screen issues.

I noticed greater instability with 4.8rc2 and I completely lost my ethernet from the TB15 with the latest kernels (regression?) regardless of the plugin sequence.

I get screen blanks of various types that affect my overall display stability. Very slow blanking frequency, every minute or so, and I have two monitors hooked up (mDP and HDMI) and they cycle in and out. I've tried various i915 flags to no avail.

It's so unstable that I've stopped using the TB15 mostly so its been a step backwards lately.

I found brcmfmac to be unstable under 4.8, in and out connectivity. I disabled ipv6 for awhile to see if that helps based on a note I fonud. Currently, since usb-ethernet through TB15 is not working, the brcmfmac issues are now critical path for me. I have not been able to get b43 to work so I just hope brcmfmac stabilizes.

15 Posts

September 7th, 2016 09:00

I've purchased the Google USB-C to DisplayPort cable that so many have said worked. It does not. I'm running 4.8rc5 right now, hoping that with each release candidate the display will get more support. It does not.

I'm running updated drivers from Intel (o1.org) and no additional customizations to Linux, other than the rc kernel.

Why is it so difficult to get this working? I understand that USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 is relatively new, but why would Dell produce a product that was questionable?

I'm tempted to sell my XPS and pick up a Lenovo X1 Carbon, which I know works (we use them at work). I'm just trying to avoid the hassle.

Can Dell chime in here?

15 Posts

September 7th, 2016 12:00

Important update:

I came across a post or two that discussed dialing back the power of the wireless card. I started more simply and disabled networking entirely. I had 100% success with my external monitor using both the Google cable and the "cheapo" adapter from Amazon.

This leads me to conclude that the issue isn't with drivers, the kernel, or anything with Linux, or with cables or adapters, rather an issue or some sort of conflict with the wireless card. I'm using Dell's card, which I believes is a Broadcom chip. I've read things about Broadcom and Linux not playing nice and I guess this confirms it.

Before I run out and by the Intel card that many recommend as a replacement, I want to find or hear if others can confirm this. Additionally, if anyone has the "upgraded" card for the XPS (the Intel) card, can you confirm that your externals work? (Though, I suppose if they did work, you wouldn't be here reading this...).

I feel both better and worse. Had I known that the Dell wireless card had so many issues and prevented my external display from working, I'd have either upgraded when I bought the machine, or bought a different machine. Luckily, the recommended replacement card is $20 or less on Amazon, new.

Those of you who are experiencing this same issue, can you try disabling your networking/wireless adapter, and then try you external and report back if it works or not?

66 Posts

September 7th, 2016 16:00

I'll give this a try. I found that disabling ipv6 helped as I had heard that power issues on the 9350 wireless card can cause the network to fluctuate and I was having alot of trouble with it. My wireless stabilized as soon as I turned off ipv6.

21 Posts

September 7th, 2016 18:00

I gave it a try.
I have a Samsung 4k monitor plugged with HDMI in the TB15 dock.
The TB15 dock is plugged in my Dell XPS 9550.
I applied all the updates related to the dock and my laptop.
I'm on Debian testing with Linux kernel 4.7.0.

Before disabling my wifi card, the connection to the monitor would be lost every 5-10 minutes, with other weird behaviors like CPU spikes in kernel processes.
After disabling my wifi card, no more lost connection and weird CPU behaviors.

So yes, it fixes that.

66 Posts

September 7th, 2016 19:00

I'm glad to hear that. I have a USB3.0 drive that runs w10 and when I run w10 from the drive, I don't have the issue with monitors and such and TB15 runs fine. To me that points out software of some sort. But if a simple switch of a $20 part stabilizes things in the short term, I'm all for it. I turned off my wifi via bios and tried to do a HDMI via the DA200 but could not get any output under 4.8rc4.

15 Posts

September 8th, 2016 06:00

I did another test last night, this time keeping networking enabled, but just disconnecting from my local wifi. The result was success with an external monitor with flickering only happening once every 5 or so minutes. It's worth noting that when networking was disabled entirely, there was no flickering.

I suppose one could reduce the power of the wireless card, but if you're like me and further away from the router with only a mediocre signal at best, the wireless becomes unusable. The Intel card folks recommend as a replacement sounds like it's got a much stronger signal anyway.

I've ordered a replacement card which should arrive tomorrow. I'll report back over the weekend as to my findings. Fingers crossed.

15 Posts

September 10th, 2016 08:00

Swapping the Intel wireless card didn't work. When I thought I had it working, a few minutes in it began flickering again, until the point the external is unusable. This is absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe Dell would ship a product that was faulty.

Unfortunately I'm beyond the 30 days for returns so I need to sell it second-hand, but I am going to give up and sell it. I work from home and need to be able to utilize the larger external to do said work; I can't work efficiently on a 13" screen. I knew this going in, but made the purchase dependent upon the external.

Folks I've worked with have had success with the Lenovo X1 Carbon, and it has a DisplayPort out, rather than this ridiculous Thunderbolt 3 that has zero support.

For the record, and for future reference, here's all the things I've tried:

• shipped with 4.0.36 kernel; I tried 4.4, 4.6, 4.7 and even 4.8 RCs which had promising reviews
  • tried dialing back the power of the wireless card, did not work; only disabling it entirely seemed to reduce the flickering to once every minute, but not a robust solution for work which relies on the internet
  • created an xorg.conf.d configuration for 20-intel.conf which sets a few things; no-go
  • tried lowering the resolution of the external; this worked better, but not solid; plus i paid for a 4K monitor and I expect to be able to use it at its fullest resolution
  • tried various adapters and cables, notable All Smart Life TB3-to-mini DisplayPort adapter and the Google TB3 to DisplayPort cable; neither worked - rather both produced the same results
  • ensured my external (Dell's own P2415Q) supports DP1.2, which it does
  • ensured the external wasn't running in MST mode and that it was the primary (and only) display
  • installed the latest Intel drivers from 01.org using the update tool for 16.04 LTS
  • disabled those drivers in lieu of the default drivers per a recommendation elsewhere

None of this worked. I am extremely frustrated and the amount of money I've sunk could've gotten me a middle-of-the-road Lenovo X1 Carbon.

I'm going to hold off for a few days before ordering the Lenovo, if anyone has anything that helps that can change my mind, please post it here. You too, Dell, if you even pay attention.

Oh, and dealing with Dell's customer service is pointless because the language barrier prevents them from really understanding what the problem is.

66 Posts

September 10th, 2016 08:00

I saw that the next version of the XPS 13 will have Killer wireless. Does anyone know which model works best with the XPS 13 9350? 

How'd the intel replacement work?

2 Posts

September 10th, 2016 09:00

I am also having problems with DA200 adaptor, Arch Linux here with kernel 4.7.2-1-ARCH. Dell Pro Support has been not helpful at all, they are just clueless, at least the people I have talked with from their support in Spain. Even more so, they just keep saying they "just cannot do anything". In my case USB, VGA and Ethernet ports from the DA200 adaptor work just fine. However, HDMI output (the reason I actually bought this adaptor, actually) detects the external display and its supported resolutions (simple xrandr call to find out). However, when trying to send display signal, it won't get to the other end. Reading through the forums I thought upgrading the Thunderbolt firmware [1] could fix the issue, but this update is an exe file that can only be run on a modern Windows environment (DOS will not suffice [2]). I have tried to install Windows on another partition for a while now. Nothing works. The Windows installation does not recognize the hard drive (no matter the SATA Operation, None, AHCI or RAID), Boot mode Legacy or UEFI. No way for the Windows installation to detect the hard drive, and I only want to update the firmware to check if that fixes the issue. Browsing Drivers and loading them on the installation itself does not fix anything, the hard drive still cannot be detected. I even tried to launch a Windows live-cd environment like Gandalf, I could run the Thunderbolt update application, but at 45% of the process or so it raised an error "No thunderbolt detected on this computer", or something like that. When I contacted the Dell Pro Support I asked if they could provide an ISO of the Windows for the 9350 Windows version (to install it without having to fight with Windows installation) they just told me I had to pay for it because a Windows licence wasn't on the original order. I think trying to update the Thunderbolt firmware is worth a shot... If anyone is interested or can try that too. Regards. [1] < ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>
[2]  wiki.archlinux.org/.../Dell_XPS_13_(2016)

66 Posts

September 10th, 2016 09:00

That's too bad.  Just as a reference point prior to the dell xps 13 I had a Mbp 8,11 which had a Broadcom chip and Intel graphics.  I had the same issues with external monitors flickering.  There are more improvements needed in the tb15 I think but it's my belief that the kernel drivers need to mature (quickly) to solve the external monitor problems.

No Events found!