Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 2nd, 2015 00:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 (November 2015) Install Ubuntu 15.10

I've been able to install (X)ubuntu 15.10 on the XPS 13 9350 but I'm having issues with it working with Secure Boot enabled. 

When Secure Boot is enabled, I get dropped to initramfs after splash screen.

Can anyone provide a detailed step by step to install 15.10  properly?

Some things that I've had to consider:

Fast Boot, SRT, Home Partition Encryption

November 2nd, 2015 10:00

I haven't made more progress than you -- but one thing I did notice is that Ubuntu fails to see the built-in hard drive (in my case a PCIe SSD). I can use the BIOS > Configuration > SATA to change the drive mode from "RAID ON" to "AHCI ON", and then linux sees the drive. Did you have this problem too?

November 3rd, 2015 01:00

Right struggled with this for awhile. Ubuntu installer and live CD doesn't see the SSD unless you go into AHCI mode, then everything installs fine even with Secure Boot and UEFI mode enabled. The problem is this breaks Windows, so I'm having trouble dual booting. Can't figure out how to get Windows 10 to use AHCI mode, and Ubuntu doesn't find the SSD in Raid On mode...

Other than that, everything in Ubuntu seemed to work fine so far other than Suspend/Resume which just crashes the computer. (and wifi of course but just get rid of the broadcom chip and install the intel 7265).

Would really love to get Ubuntu installed and working in Raid On mode if that's even possible. Otherwise would be good to get Windows working in AHCI mode.

If I can get this to work, I'll post a detailed step by step that explains how.

November 3rd, 2015 06:00

I was able to get a dual boot setup by:

1. Create recovery usb from Windows

2.  Switch to AHCI in BIOS settings

3.  Boot into Windows rexocerecovery and restore ("preserve files")

4. Shrink windows partition, disable fast boot

5. Install Ubuntu into the empty space

18 Posts

November 3rd, 2015 06:00

Secure boot needs to be disabled.

November 5th, 2015 13:00

18 Posts

November 5th, 2015 23:00

Great Job, thanks for compiling the info!!

I can confirm that for the FHD version power management works (recover from supend) with Ubuntu 15.10 and Kernel 4.3 RC7, if that's something you want to add to your notes.

EDIT: added FHD version info

11 Posts

December 1st, 2015 15:00

hey guys and delltron9350,

i found a way to stay with the preinstalled windows & how to get hte wifi card work with ubuntu

check it out if you want:  http://secretundergroundla.ir/wifi-on-xps-13-9350-with-ubuntu-15-10/

1 Message

December 13th, 2015 13:00

I just tried your instructions and they worked perfectly! I haven't used windows in a very long time, so I found the windows related instructions to be a bit vague, but not hard to figure out. Thanks for giving back!

December 23rd, 2015 10:00

I just spent a few hours trying to make my windows bootable again after switching to AHCI. How did you manage?

7 Posts

December 28th, 2015 11:00

Reboot with RAID then put windows in safe mode (google it) then reboot with AHCI to windows, put safe mode off and that should fix it

1 Message

January 12th, 2016 00:00

Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 10 installation (IDE or RAID).

1. Run Command Prompt as Admin
2. Invoke a Safe Mode boot with the command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
3. Restart the PC and enter your BIOS during bootup.
4. Change from IDE to AHCI mode then Save & Exit.
5. Windows 10 will launch in Safe Mode.
6. Right click the Window icon and select to run the Command Prompt in Admin mode from among the various options.
7. Cancel Safe Mode booting with the command: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
8. Restart your PC once more and this time it will boot up normally but with AHCI mode activated.

Source:

"www.tenforums.com/.../15006-attn-ssd-owners-enabling-ahci-mode-after-windows-10-installation.html ;"

For Windows 7/8:

superuser.com/.../switching-from-raid-to-ahci-with-windows-8

1 Message

January 23rd, 2016 01:00

Thanks very much

That worked for me

2 Posts

February 10th, 2017 06:00

Thanks to @Buuutch, confirming this has worked.

I was attempting to dual boot Windows with Linux Mint 18.1, but the Mint installer could not see my SDD.

Switching from RAID to AHCI using the simple steps given above, left my Windows OS intact, so no re-install was required.

Thereafter, the Mint installer was able to see my SSD and I was able continue with the normal installation.

No Events found!