Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2012 16:00

[FIXED] Brightness controls broken after hibernate/suspend

The brightness controls are not functional after resuming from suspend/hibernate.

Steps to reproduce.

Adjust brightness - confirm working
Suspend or hibernate
Resume from hiberate 
Adjust brightness - confirm not working

Restarting acpid, and
# echo 1 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
do not adjust the brightness.

I believe this is a known bug and the gentoo wiki has minor workaround
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dell_XPS_13_Ultrabook#Graphics_Chip 

There are some bugs on launchpad already but they are related to nVidia devices.

There is a blog post with more details here:

http://oldpapyrus.wordpress.com/tag/ubuntu-12-04-brightness-maximum-reset-on-resume-from-suspend-hibernate/

3 Posts

September 26th, 2012 17:00

echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

works and reenables the backlight controls.

I'll work on a proof of concept work around for this.

3 Posts

September 26th, 2012 20:00

There's probably a much, much better/elegant way to do this. But here is the dirty script I wrote to get things behaving nicely.

This is based on the information in the Gentoo wiki and the blog post.

Put this in a file located in /etc/pm/sleep.d/
ex: 10_intel_ brightness

#!/bin/bash
# Author xortim
# Description Workaround for intel backlight brightness quirk.

case "${1}" in
resume|thaw)
cat /tmp/pre_suspend_brt > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
;;
suspend|hibernate)
cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness > /tmp/pre_suspend_brt
;;
*)
exit 1
esac

Hope this helps someone else.

33 Posts

October 17th, 2012 11:00

xortim, this has been fixed in the kernel. For future reference, it would have been very helpful if you posted a bug report on the project's Launchpad page (bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik). Developers see those much faster than posts on this forum-- in fact, this specific bug was fixed BECAUSE someone reported it there :) .

2 Posts

October 17th, 2012 13:00

Beacon11: can you point me to a bug/fix page on this issue? I searched the launchpad but could not find anything. I am trying to figure out which kernel version has this fix you mention.

33 Posts

October 17th, 2012 14:00

@matstc: Certainly! Note that bugs with fixes released aren't shown on the default bug page, which is probably why you couldn't find it. Here is a direct link: bugs.launchpad.net/.../1055231 . The fix was released in the kamal9 kernel-- the current kernel is kamal11.

33 Posts

October 17th, 2012 15:00

Ooo, yeah-- that's where all the Sputnik-specific stuff is! I bet you'll notice several other improvements as well (especially the touchpad)! For future reference, Sputnik has a distro pre-seeded with all the necessary PPAs etc. here: hwe.ubuntu.com/.../dellxps . I recommend you install that from now on.

2 Posts

October 17th, 2012 15:00

Thank you Beacon11. I now understand that I should have added the two PPAs (sputnik-policykit and sputnik-kernel). I did that and now the brightness is fine when coming back from sleep.

No Events found!