Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2017 05:00

Guide on setting up a XPS 9360 DE?

One of the main reasons I chose to buy an XPS 9360 this Spring was that Dell shipped a Developer Edition of it, which to me sounds like "it's possible to get a good experience using Linux on this thing". Unfortunately, my experience has been less than optimal in the 5 months of using it, with lots of crashes (in both Windows and Linux), severely lacking power management features, etc.

I would guess the Developer Edition comes with lots of smaller fixes that is not present in the main Ubuntu 16.04 LTS release, but then I might be wrong ... In any case, I was wondering if there was any form of "guide"/howto that goes into detail on setting up a non-DE model to a DE-like experience?

It was only today, 5 months after first installing it, that I learned why hibernation hasn't functioned once since installing Ubuntu: hibernation is disabled if running UEFI. This means I need to reinstall Windows and Ubuntu (not an option - I have a life) to get this working, as switching from UEFI to BIOS just ends up displaying an error about no OS being found.

Having a single-source-of-truth when going through the steps of setting it up would have been immensely valuable, as the accumulated time lost from all individuals scrambling through the net in hopes of accumulating enough tidbits to get this thing working could be better spent.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2017 10:00

Check out this forum thread I have started on UbuntuForums ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php We may move the discussion here and create a true 9360 wiki single-source-of-truth here.

No Events found!