Highlighted
GorveenN
1 Copper

RE: New Kaby Lake XPS 13: coil whine

Jump to solution

I just got my xps 13 and the coil whine is still an issue. I updated my bios to 2.5.1 and it didn't help at all. Is there any solution for my laptop?

My computer specs: 

XPS 13 9360
i7-8550U
8GB RAM
256GB SSD

Highlighted
mikowa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same here, XPS 9730, i7, 512SSD, 16GB Ram.

That's crazy I had that issue in previous 9630 which I returned due to high CPU temp (same spec.) then I bought new 9370 and after 4 months coil is whining again. 

I'll open a ticket and will see what Dell will do.

Highlighted
URIPA
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I received my XPS 13 9370 after over 2 weeks and just returned it because of two reasons:

1- Coil whine which is really annoying when you're in a quiet room and trying to read an article or work on a code!

2- There was a big ugly! gap in hinge, body and display they were not in same surface.

I'm all set with Dell and it's QC.

Highlighted
johnb119
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I would like to mention that in my experience, this issue does have a potential to worsen over time. As I have encountered it across a 7470 and 7480 now.

"working within specification," maybe, consider 2 years from now, my unit was unusable within that time frame, and now i feel I've been handed a replacement with 2 years of usability left in it, out of box.

Looking forward to see if real responses to this problem arise.

Its 2019 and their still handing out laptops with a known issue from 2017....

I do appreciate the work that you have done on this issue.

Highlighted
abdel_eid
1 Copper

Jump to solution

the last time to buy dell product almost lost 1000$ on this creepy sound coil whine with dell laptop, it is not xps it is dell g3759

contact your community member and mentioned that this sound is ok, it might be ok for you but not for all of us.

Thanks dell for all your efforts since 2017 concerning the issue. 

Highlighted
Jetech
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Updated to the new 2.4.2 Bios i can say the coil whine is still very present.

Im not sure if its any better than the previous Bios.

I noticed that some web pages have less sound and others more, ie. i found Facebook to be extra loud. I just dont understand why my old Dell 5510 and all my previous laptops have had no sounds and this brand new $$$ laptop cant be the same/better.

kennedybaird
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Justin,

I have another question, I am not having a problem with coil wine, however there is a significant scratching / crackling noise that is coming from the machine when under load (mostly when I start to get too many tabs / instances of chrome open and if I'm working with vectors.

Dell support replaced the SSD in my device, which stopped the problem for a while, however it is back now.

My warranty runs out in January and I'm concerned.

Do you know anything about this scratching / crackling noise from the 9360? 512gb

Highlighted
kennedybaird
1 Copper

Jump to solution

P.s. I have updated BIOS etc

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@Kennedybaird,

I'm not currently aware of any other cases where the a drive is making noise like that. However, we should be able to work something out. Send me a friend request with your service tag and I'll take a look.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

View solution in original post

Highlighted
parkxps1124
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Sorry to bring up an old post but just received my xps 13 9360 today and has some pretty noticeable coil whine even opening up a browser.  My ssd is also extremely slow getting 450 seq write with the 512 gb nvme drive.  Has there been any recent fix for this as I'm on bios 2.6.2.  Support isnt really helping much giving me statistics for the samsung drive when I have the kingston...