Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2015 00:00

New XPS 13 + Sputnik?

When can we expect the Sputnik version of the new XPS 13?

1 Message

April 3rd, 2015 07:00

To Barton, concerning the same issue: is there any software difference between the standard Ubuntu 14.04 LTS SP1 and the version which is preinstalled? Like any additional drivers needed or could one just download a Ubuntu and install it? I plan a dual-boot system.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2015 11:00

I've noticed that on the European sites that the link for an XPS13 is like

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=cnx4313&model_id=xps-13-9343-laptop

If you want the FHD model then you insert the model number cnx4313 for consumers and bnx4313 for business. However the problem that I have is that this link is for localised keyboard models, so azerty in France and GB in the UK. I want a USA keyboard as I actually program and so the local versions are less convenient.

Can you either create a new model number that is USA keyboard or add a URL argument to modify it.

As it is, I'll probably call up sales to try to arrange it but since my Spanish isn't great (buying in Spain) that will be a nuisance.

3 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 15:00

This is a great question. Would very much like to know the answer to this!

Thanks for all of you and your team's hard work, Barton!

Edit: Oops, new forum user here. I intended to reply to the user a couple of posts above this one regarding whether the hardware on the developer edition 2015 XPS is the same as the regular Windows 2015 XPS. If it is just the preinstalled OS and drivers that are different, I may go ahead and order a Windows one now as well.

8 Posts

April 4th, 2015 18:00

I, for one, chose the 9343 Windows 8.1 product because I could upgrade it to a dual boot Linux computer.  The Sputnik project sold at least one extra laptop.

April 5th, 2015 16:00

I'm on board with this. I would love to vote with my wallet for an Australian Linux version.

7 Posts

April 6th, 2015 10:00

I'm on board with this. I would love to vote with my wallet for an Australian Linux version.

Yup, will XPS 13 DE be available in Australia?

I'll be sad to add another tally to Microsofts count only to wipe it and install Ubuntu but what can I do...

13 Posts

April 6th, 2015 11:00

I've noticed that with currency conversion, the developer models with ubuntu are coming out to about $1400-$1500 whereas the US costs for the xps 13s with Windows are upwards of $1700.  It appears there is a cost savings by not going with the Windows models, why purchase them if you want Ubuntu anyways?

1 Message

April 7th, 2015 08:00

Barton, is there any possibility for a full customization option, specifically to select the screens? I don't require the QHD screen, but would love to be able to purchase the high end one with the i7 and 512 SSD.

April 7th, 2015 15:00

Hi Barton

I'm an happy onwer of new 9343, dual boot with ubuntu 14.10, it's awesome.

Thanks for your work and I cross my fingers for a Sputnik working release soon.

April 7th, 2015 16:00

Looks like it's official:

www.dell.com/.../pd.aspx

15 Posts

April 7th, 2015 16:00

No option for i7 with the FHD monitor. Lame

15 Posts

April 7th, 2015 17:00

Uh oh... the non-touch doesn't have the 256gb SSD upgrade in the customize section... I do hope Barton can clarify this is an oversight? That's the bare minimum I need.

Thank you.

15 Posts

April 7th, 2015 19:00

I just talked to customer support and the system is not configurable outside of the listed configurations on their web page. Disappointing overall, another typical Dell experience

3 Posts

I agree with eblanshey. It's hard to believe that if I want to upgrade from 128GB to 256GB it will cost me an additional $400 because I'm forced to go with the touch display. What's stopping me from just buying the Windows version and installing Ubuntu with the appropriate drivers?

Yeah, that's what I just did. I've been waiting for the developer edition for a while now and was anxiously refreshing the page over and over. But to have it finally come out and have the options be so restricted was really a let down. I ordered an i5 FHD Windows model with 8 gigs of RAM and a 256GB SSD. I hate to do that because I wanted to show support specifically to the Sputnik program, but I won't settle for a 128GB SSD.

1 Message

I agree with eblanshey. It's hard to believe that if I want to upgrade from 128GB to 256GB it will cost me an additional $400 because I'm forced to go with the touch display. What's stopping me from just buying the Windows version and installing Ubuntu with the appropriate drivers?

No Events found!