Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2017 09:00

No support from Dell regarding Ubuntu

Dear people,

With a Dell XPS 13 9360 with touchscreen we are also experiencing the issue *XPS 13 9360 trackpad locks into scroll mode* [1], reported „upstream“ at the Dell Sputnik project *three* months ago. As there has been no solution and no interaction by Dell Sputnik folks what to do, I contacted the (German) Dell support.

Unfortunately, the experience wasn’t any better. First I was asked to test it with Windows 10. Unwillingly, we did that, and contrary to some reports in [1], we were unable to reproduce it over the weekend. Maybe because of driver updates in the meantime, or because we didn’t trigger it, as we don’t know how to reliably reproduce it.

Anyway, today I am talking to the Dell support, and I am told, as we were unable to reproduce it in Windows 10, it’s not a hardware problem, and the issue is closed from their side, as – although they sell the device with Ubuntu – they don’t support it.

Is that true?

Kind regards,

Paul Menzel

[1] bugs.launchpad.net/.../1651635

161 Posts

March 20th, 2017 14:00

Can you reproduce the problem with Dell's official XP 13 Ubuntu image? (I think you need to request this). If so, then my opinion is that it should be supported.

I personally use a fresh install (not Dell's image), but I have a 9343.

Good luck!

March 21st, 2017 02:00

Dear relevant, thank you for your answer.

My topic/question is more, if Dell is giving support or not? Because I heard both ways. It’d be great if I could be pointed to an official document or if a Dell representative could answer.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 5th, 2017 15:00

@Pmenzel_gmailaddress,

Please send me a friend request with your service tag and email address and we'll start a case together. I'm interested in trying to replicate this scrolling behavior and working with you to resolve.

No Events found!