Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 27th, 2013 15:00

Noises popping up all time long

Hi all,

My XPS 13 makeing noises coming out of the left box internal and externel. It starts when I boot and never going off. I have tryed it in windows and all noises gone. So dose anyone have this problem too? Can anyone help me?

3.3K Posts

June 28th, 2013 03:00

Hi Syron,

May I know the complete system model as XPS 13 has 2 different system models.

Does the noise stop when you are in Windows?

Run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer as soon as you see the DELL logo, tap until you see the one-time boot menu. Now Select Diagnostics on Fan.

Also, I recommend updating BIOS on the computer.

Visit http://dell.to/10GaKAc

Enter the service tag and choose Operating system acordingly.

Now select BIOS. Download the file and update BIOS.

• During BIOS update verify that the computer is connected to an AC Adapter.
  • Disconnect any third party peripherals connected to the computer before performing BIOS update. 
  • Do not turn off the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Do not restart the computer during the BIOS update.
  • Ensure battery charge is more than 30% during BIOS update.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

June 28th, 2013 04:00

hi Rajesh there are little Problems. I have the XPS 13 (L322X) and all Drivers and the BIOS upgrading Program are only for Windows but I have the Sputnik Ubuntu edition. My BIOS is A08 I think its the newest one for the XPS13. The Fan is not the Problem. My Speakers make noises. But when Ubuntu is booted the noises in the internal speakers are gone. When I plug in AUX the noises are only in the left speaker. No matter witch device I pluged in the AUX Port.  

3.3K Posts

July 1st, 2013 08:00

Hi Syron,

Do you hear the distortion from the computer left speaker when the computer booted into Ubuntu?

After booting up the computer, connect the speakers to the computer and check if you hear any distortion from the external speakers.

Awaiting your response!

3 Posts

July 5th, 2013 05:00

hi Rajesh,

yes thats the problem I have. When I start the computer the left internal speaker making noises. When Ubuntu is loaded the noises are gone. But when I plug in external speakers the noises are also in the left external speaker. I think its the BIOS. The ALSA gets the information from the BIOS and something is wrong.

0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH

HDA Intel PCH at 0xd0510000 irq 45

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 <==

Codec: Realtek ALC275

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#3 <==

Codec: Intel PantherPoint HDMI

the next problem is that ALSA have no codec for ALC275. You can see in this list.

www.kernel.org/.../HD-Audio-Models.txt

do you have an Idea?

3.3K Posts

July 7th, 2013 07:00

Hi Syron,

From your post I can understand that the BIOS update fails.

If it happens on the external speakers that means the issue might be with the hardware. There are few scenarios where the Audio port goes bad and the issue persists on external speakers as well. We might need to replace the external speakers.

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!