Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2016 20:00

Precision 5510 with Ubuntu - Do's and Dont's

Hello Team Sputnik,

First of all, thanks for all the effort put into this project. I recently bought a Precision 5510 with Ubuntu and I'm loving it.

However, I have a bunch of questions about what can I and cannot do with my machine, without loosing the special tweaks that the Ubuntu image of this machines come with.

1. Can I upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04.4 ? How?

2. Can I upgrade to th most current version of Ubuntu, or will it loose the configurations? How? (I'm not talking about a clean install)

3. Can I install Gnome Desktop environment?

4. If 3 is yes, can I install the latest version?

5. Every time that I start Unity I get an error that some program failed. Nothing happens, but it is kind of annoying. Is this something to be expected? Or this wasn't happening on your testing?

6. Is there any type of dock at all that works with this machine? Is the Dell dock with Thunderbolt going to be working soon? How soon?

7. What Graphics card is it using by default? Can I change it? I have 2 monitors connected right now, with different resolutions and I feel that the Nvidia card could be useful, although I'm not planning on playing games.

I'll probably add some more questions on the go, but this are my main questions. My focus is on doing some of this things without breaking anything. Sometimes I feel like I'm on a very precarious equilibrium and that anything can brake this installation.

Again, thanks for all the effort. Its an extraordinary machine and its working great.

Kind regards,

Santiago

1 Message

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

Let me add to Satiago's request for #s 6 and 7. I feel pretty cheated that the Thunderbolt dock I purchased doesn't work with Ubuntu, and that I was given no notification of that during system configuration.  Literally the only thing that works with this dock is power.  Nothing else.

As for #7, I also am fairly disappointed that the card seems to be completely unconfigured and unreachable by the system. Going direct to NVidia for drivers hasn't solved anything for me, and there's nothing on this site in terms of support for it.

No Events found!