Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2016 12:00

Ubuntu (daily) 16.04 - 9350 QHD i7 Skylake video freeze

Hi,

We don't get the option of DE models in NZ, so my Windows unit arrived Friday.  Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix (as in Xorg changes, kernel params etc) the screen freeze problem I'm hitting when I do anything graphically intensive - i.e. scroll up and down in a browser, manically resize nautilus windows etc.  None of this is an issue under MS Windows.

I thought I'd try out Ubuntu (daily) 16.04 as I need Broadcom support (no Intel option here) and Ubuntu unity didn't release a beta 1.  Wifi seems to work well.

On wiki.archlinux.org/.../intel_graphics
it mentions that the i915 driver hangs and the only way forward currently is to disable the acceleration. I tried the Xorg work around but video didn't work.

I installed the latest daily kernel last night, but it only seemed to improve the situation, as it would unfreeze more often (as opposed to requiring a reboot) after a few seconds, until the laptop became warm and every freeze was a reboot.

I haven't tried the official beta 1s as I've become used to unity, and everything else appears to work.  However, if someone can confirm that everything works in another flavour...

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

13 Posts

March 7th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

For anyone else who has the same problem, I was able to stop the freezing by adding intel.idle.max_cstate=7 as a kernel parameter.

Found the suggestion here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109081

13 Posts

March 7th, 2016 02:00

Looks like I spoke too soon, had another freeze - but it is better.

I'll post more if/when I have more.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2016 11:00

Do you have a i7-6560U or an i7-6500U processor? I got the new i7-6560U processor and had to add the 

i915.enable_rc6=0 to the kernel boot parameters to prevent freezings.

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php

13 Posts

March 14th, 2016 12:00

I have the same processor.  I thought I tried your suggestion, but maybe I made a mistake or maybe we have a different setup.

Is yours an XPS 9350 QHD as well?
What version of ubuntu are you running?  (I was running Xenial daily)
When did you install it?
Any other kernel params besides i915.enable_rc6=0?

I reverted back to 15.10, but no wifi.  Tried 4.3-testwifi custom kernel, but it would make squealing noises after sleeping.  Kernels 4.4 and 4.5 freeze, but I'll try your suggestion and see how I go.

Thank you very much for responding!

4 Posts

March 14th, 2016 13:00

Yes, seems like we have the same setup. I also have QHD w/ touch screen. I have installed Ubuntu 15.10 (without working WiFi) and updated to the latest kernel (v4.5-rc7-wily/)

My kernel parameters are: 

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.enable_rc6=0 intel_idle.max_cstate=7 i915.preliminary_hw_support=1"

I actually think intel_idle.max_cstate=7  and i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 is not necessary. Let me know how it goes. 

161 Posts

March 14th, 2016 23:00

I wonder why the WIFI works for me with broadcom and out-of-the-box+proprietary_driver Ubuntu 15.04. Did you enable the proprietary drivers? Or perhaps you choose not to (definitely understandable)?

13 Posts

March 15th, 2016 03:00

Thank you so much, those kernel settings made a huge difference.  When my trackpad and touchscreen froze, I thought the problem still persisted until sleep still worked and found that the screen and keyboard was still responsive.  Sleep seemed to kill wifi, but trackpad came back by physically clicking the button a few times.  Still more work perhaps or freak occurrence.  More testing required.  Might try your suggestions with 16.04, or try Kernel 4.4.

For those facing similar problems, my 15.10 install wouldn't boot until I used the boot-repair:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

I ran into problems upgrading the kernel (4.4 and above) complaining that driver firmware was missing - fixed by installing:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/sklgucver43

Thanks again.

4 Posts

March 15th, 2016 07:00

Good to hear! I also had to use boot-repair to fix my dual Ubuntu/Windows setup and install the Intel graphics drivers. 

Which setup are you running now? I don't experience freezes with the boot parameteres. I do also occasionally experience that the WiFi doesn't turn on after sleep, I have to restart to connect again. The PC seems also to shut down when I'm closing the lid and running on batteries, which is a bit annoying.  

March 17th, 2016 00:00

I have the same problem with my sky.

once or two times per day.

anyone can fix this? :(

daminhtan.com/chup-anh-gia-dinh">

13 Posts

March 21st, 2016 05:00

Instead of restarting to recover wifi, try unpluging from power and suspend and wake again.

However, my touchscreen doesn't come back after sleep and the above didn't help at all.

Cheers.

4 Posts

March 21st, 2016 11:00

To get the WiFi back on you can restart the service also with 

sudo service network-manager restart

Still, quite annoying. 

13 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 02:00

That is helpful though.  Any ideas on bringing back the touch screen without a reboot?

April 5th, 2016 12:00

I just got my XPS 9350 a couple of days ago and nothing else resolved GPU hangs except i915.enable_rc6=0.

I'm running Ubuntu 15.10 on Linux 4.5.

Just wanted to confirm the solution and say thank you.

3 Posts

April 6th, 2016 04:00

Hi,

I got my XPS 9350 yesterday and installed ubuntu-gnome-16.04-beta2. I changed

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.enable_rc6=0"

and hope this solve the video problem.

6 Posts

April 6th, 2016 08:00

I've been using kernel 4.4.6 for the last few days (from Fedora 23) and so far it seems stable. No special boot parameters required.

No Events found!