Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

350 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 19:00

In examining the order pages for the 5510 and 7710, I find I'm able to configure a 5510 with the UHD screen, but when UHD is selected (with any graphics chipset) for the 7710, I receive an error message "The LCD you've selected is incompatible with the UBUNTU Operating System."  Would you happen to know if that is an actual limitation of the OS/hardware combination, or is this simply a bug in the order system?

With the 7510 and 7710, there're two bugs related to the UHD panel. That's the reason for the restriction. Once both bugs are resolved, the restriction will be lifted. There is no such restriction for the 5510.

Also, can you confirm if hibernation is known to work on the 5510?  The Ubuntu certification for its predecessor, the M3800, stated that hibernation was not working, though it provided no details as to the problem and a query I made here long ago turned up no new information.  (www.ubuntu.com/.../201409-15517)  Suspend is wonderful, but I find hibernation very useful too and am reluctant to try to work on a portable machine without it.

I don't believe we test hibernation anymore, at least on systems with discrete GPUs. However, for what it's worth, these days I see little impact on battery life when using suspend.

Finally, regardless of the answers to the above questions, let me extend my thanks to you, Barton, and team for all of the great work in getting these machines to market with Linux installed.  As a desktop Linux user off-and-on since the late '90s and constantly since 2007, I deeply appreciate any and all efforts in Linux-supported hardware.

It's really great to see all the kind and supportive words. :) That definitely makes this job more enjoyable.

350 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 20:00

1) Is the XPS 13 2006 DE model going to hit New Zealand?  Options seem constrained here and I've never seen a DE version on the NZ site.

Assuming you meant 2016 and not 2006... We've had a difficult time convincing the sales teams in APJ to make this available anywhere in that part of the world. We'll keep trying, though.

2) Besides RAM/HD/Wifi, are the DE models essentially the same as consumer? (As in, is there a serious difference that will limit my Ubuntu experience on the consumer models?  Will tech support persist?)

The hardware is the same. The difference mainly is in the hardware enablement work and support. Oh, and helping to financially support our Linux work.

3) Will the factory DE Ubuntu installer image be made available for download/install?

No. We're not permitted to share this with customers who do not purchase with Ubuntu.

And/or are Broadcom wifi support/fixes likely to be included in Ubuntu 16 beta (out in a few days).

Assuming you mean Ubuntu 16.04, yes, Broadcom drivers are already there.

4) Speaking of Wifi, many sites I've googled suggest I'll save myself a whole lot of pain by simply replacing the Wifi with an Intel 7260NGW myself.  Would this invalidate warranty?  And/or is this a purchase option available in other countries?

The Skylake XPS 13 uses either an Intel 8260 or a Broadcom DW1820A. The latter uses Broadcom's new open source driver.

350 Posts

Does hybrid graphic support imply that other thunderbolt3 docks with external gpu like the razer core are also going to work with the xps13 DE even though it has no dedicated gpu itself?

We don't test other maker's Thunderbolt 3 docks, so I don't know.

350 Posts

That's awesome to hear! I seem to remember you've said that the drivers are in a directory (possibly debs) on the system. As long as I have a copy hove those drivers can I do a fresh install of 15.10 (or 16.04 when it's released) and just install those drivers?

Without having tested ourselves, that's hard to answer. The biggest issue is Type C support.

Also, is ECC memory supported in the 5510 with the Xeon? I know Xeon supports ECC but not sure if the 5510 does.

My understanding is that it may possibly be available later. I'm not sure and couldn't definitively say even if I did know.

25 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 02:00

Do you already know if there will be a DE with new Intel Iris Graphics and i7 6560U?

27 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 07:00

dthiery
That's awesome to hear! I seem to remember you've said that the drivers are in a directory (possibly debs) on the system. As long as I have a copy hove those drivers can I do a fresh install of 15.10 (or 16.04 when it's released) and just install those drivers?
Without having tested ourselves, that's hard to answer. The biggest issue is Type C support.

The main reason for the fresh install is to enable whole disk encryption. Is it possible to enable whole disk encryption using the recovery image?

350 Posts

The main reason for the fresh install is to enable whole disk encryption. Is it possible to enable whole disk encryption using the recovery image?

I'm told there are design limitations in dell-recovery/Ubiquity that prevent this.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

Hi @alesfo

We will be making noise about the Precision 5510 ubuntu edition soon :)

Re the price that does seem very strange.  Let me forward to our european team and see if can get an answer.

thanks for pointing this out and thanks for the support!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 08:00

Im meeting with the European team tomorrow to review the status.

Thanks for the support!!

5 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 08:00

How about XPS 13 DE - do you guys have any release date estimates?

Btw thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing!

19 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 09:00

Apologies if this question has an obvious answer, not sure how various regions are divided up. Are UK sales handled by the European team? If so, do you think you'll have some information on being able to order a Precision 5510 with Ubuntu tomorrow?

Thank you

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 09:00

Keep up the good work  and please post once XPS is online in the US. We are going to compare our options. We check this thread daily.

21 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 10:00

Barton the wait is agonizing for us europeans... We're totally with you guys :-)

13 Posts

February 24th, 2016 01:00

Thank you so much for your reply, it was really helpful.  As I can't buy a DE model in the APR, nor buy recovery Ubuntu images, how does one financially support your linux work?  

6 Posts

February 24th, 2016 05:00

Well, I assume that Dell doesn't need any financial support from users for supporting Linux :-)

However, the situation is similar for me: I really need to buy a new laptop soon, but I'm only waiting because 1) I want to show Dell that there is demand for Ubuntu based systems, and 2) I can save the hassle with replacing the Wifi adapter.

Other than this, I don't care much about paying for the included Windows license (may still use it in a VM instead) and I can easily install Ubuntu on my own. That being said, I assume that the 9350 developer edition won't be more different to the existing configurations - is that correct?

In short: What other reasons are there to wait for the Developer Edition?

No Events found!