Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

15 Posts

March 18th, 2016 05:00

Can we please keep this thread on-topic, and create new threads for individual issues?

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

March 21st, 2016 15:00

@tvtb, @jefish

we're on it! :-)

350 Posts

March 21st, 2016 21:00

I've read that many Dell machines do not support Intel VT-x and even more do not support VT-d, even though in many cases the BIOS would report these features were enabled.  The earlier versions of the XPS-13 were notorious for this, and I've read conflicting reports about the new ones.  Can you confirm whether or not VT-x and VT-d are working on the XPS-13, and also on the new Ubuntu Precision systems (of which I'm losing track of all of the model numbers - a good problem to have!)?

I was travelling for most of two weeks and am catching up on email, so my apologies for the delay.

VT-x is definitely supported and has been there for every generation that we've been doing Ubuntu on the XPS 13. I believe VT-d is supported on all current and previous generation XPS 13's, though I've only looked on the i7 systems. The same is true for Precision mobile.

74 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 09:00

> Depending on popularity, demand we may swap some configs out but we'll need to see.

I wonder how that popularity/demand will be determined when there is no way to pick/configure the desired system. After all what counts in term of popularity is not forum posts, but paying customers.

So many buy the i7/touch, so people want touch! (no, they want the maximum possible 16GB RAM (in case for the XPS13))

Similar number buys the i5/FHE, so people are fine with 8GB! (nope, they want non-glare screen)

this of course for any conclusion you want to draw...

Also doesn't help that the sputnik site links to windows versions of the Precision lines, that don't make it immediately obvious how to switch to different models. There's Customize and Buy, but of course that makes comparing models very bothersome, and the regular product filters won't show those configurations at all. Dell's website is not really a prime example for user friendliness.

Even when you know what you're looking for, it is deep down the rabbit hole.. 

46 Posts

March 22nd, 2016 14:00

@tvtb, @jefish

we're on it! :-)

adjective, faster, fastest.

moving or able to move, operate, function, or take effect quickly; quick; swift; rapid
done in comparatively little time; taking a comparatively short time
:emotion-5:

1 Message

March 22nd, 2016 23:00

Like the sales volume to justify continuing the program (which is what lets us have funds/sway to get driver support in the first place)? We very much track the sales of these systems with Linux versus with Windows, and those numbers are important for management internally. :) That'd be the main reason if you're not using our Ubuntu image.

Hmm....if only there were a way to register "I got an XPS 15 because Best Buy had a good deal on one and the Precision 5510 is officially Linux-supported, and I want to support companies which care about Linux support in their products."

March 23rd, 2016 05:00

I would be happy with a XPS 13

i7-6560U
    8GB Ram (or 16 :) )
    256GB SSD
    FHD

A Windows version actually already exist  (e-code : cnx9318) . But I guess it does not have the Intel wifi chipset.

I wonder if Dell would do (or allow) a version without Windows 10 (with a discount / coupon).

Also I read some worrying things about the trackpad, some people have issues like single tap failing, erratic 2 finger scrolling or jumping. Is that a hardware issue than can be resolved (or already is) ?

46 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 13:00

i7-6560U
    8GB Ram (or 16 :) )
    256GB SSD
    FHD

A Windows version actually already exist  (e-code : cnx9318) . But I guess it does not have the Intel wifi chipset.

Whoa, what? Where are you seeing this? If the only difference is the Broadcom vs Intel card, this might be worth looking into ...

March 24th, 2016 05:00

Whoa, what? Where are you seeing this? If the only difference is the Broadcom vs Intel card, this might be worth looking into ...

I found it on the NL region , I live in Belgium so , could be interesting :)

http://www.dell.com/nl/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd?oc=cnx9318

25 Posts

March 25th, 2016 06:00

Any news regarding the release in Europe/Germany? I thought Europe release would be shortly after US release.

1 Message

March 25th, 2016 07:00

Really good to see Dell continuing to support Linux, my thanks to all those involved in project Sputnik. I have always wanted an XPS 13 Developer edition but they have been a bit out of my price range. I recently managed to get a Windows XPS 13 from the Dell outlet (i7-6560U, 256GB SSD, 8GB Ram) and was looking forward to installing Linux on it myself. However I can't find any driver downloads on the Dell support sites for Linux, only windows drivers. I was wondering if any of the Dell Sputnik team could tell us when and where the Linux drivers will be available for download?

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

March 25th, 2016 09:00

Its coming very soon!!! (sorry for the delay)

9 Posts

March 25th, 2016 13:00

"Very soon" how many minutes left? ;)))

9 Posts

March 25th, 2016 13:00

Very excited .. I check this thread on daily basis .. :))))

25 Posts

March 25th, 2016 14:00

Very excited .. I check this thread on daily basis .. :))))

Haha I'm checking even more frequently. A few times a day - i can't wait to order and let that be said: if there was an option to preorder I would have been the first.

No Events found!