Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

April 8th, 2016 04:00

No premium support on the CNX9333 , is that normal ? Just wondering before I order it :)

Just  "1 year Collect & Return Hardware support "

9 Posts

April 8th, 2016 10:00

"Dieser Artikel kann leider nicht mehr online gekauft werden. Hier finden Sie unsere Empfehlung für ein ähnliches System" @barton warum?? :(( I Hope when I call up the team, there will be availability;))

25 Posts

April 8th, 2016 10:00

Assuming you're searching on the German site:

Try these links

Unternehmen: http://www.dell.com/de/unternehmen/p/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu/pd.aspx?c=de&l=de&s=bsd

Privatkunden: http://www.dell.com/de/p/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu/pd?ref=PD_OC

Hope these links can help you.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 8th, 2016 11:00

Hi Michalt,

The European team has fixed this.  If not let me know

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

April 13th, 2016 08:00

Ordered mine (cnx9333) , eta 20th of april :)

14 Posts

April 13th, 2016 14:00

Dear Barton (and ProjectSputnik team),

I finally ordered a brand new Precision 5510 to replace my XSP13 DE from 2013. I look forward to receiving it!

However, I have a not-so-positive note on the whole experience of making a purchase is Switzerland, which I would like to share with you to improve the process in the future. I had a very minor issue (I wanted an "European" power cord in addition to the standard Swiss one). That was not offered on the website, and I thought it'd be easy enough to sort this out.

There is no customer service "chat" in Switzerland. Calling Dell CH on the phone (seven phone calls), I got a number of answers including 1) you can only do this online 2) I cannot do this for you 3) I must transfer you to my colleague (nobody ever picked up the phone) 4) sales are handled by Dell Germany, you should use their chat or call them. The chat of Dell Germany was supposed to exist, but was out of order. I called Dell Germany (five more phone calls), and got a similar range of answers (including a spectacular "there is no difference between German and Swiss plugs").

At that point I gave up in frustration. However, I personally think that this is no way to deal with a customer who is about to pay ~3800 USD for a new laptop plus accessories. I can easily imagine that any customer that is anything short of ***-bent on supporting project sputnik would have given up after a couple of calls and bought something from another vendor.

Incidentally, I was very keen on pushing for dell (and its linux laptops in particular) to be included in "project neptune", which is  the system used by most Swiss universities' employees and students to purchase laptops. Unless someone has a special reason, all staff and students are invited to pick from the "project neptune" list of vendors and models, and dell is not currently part of it. It may be hard to make the case in favor of Dell (there is a panel of people that have the final say), given how cumbersome is to deal with the Swiss customer service.

I think that this sort of mishaps from some national sales teams spoil some of the hard work that you guys put in the XPS13 and precision systems, which is a pity. Keep up the good work!

9 Posts

April 13th, 2016 15:00

Hi Sputnik-Team,

I received my xps 13 DE i5 non-touch in germany yesterday. I am very pleased with the result. You have done a great job and I am glad I supported you. Looking forward to your further development, especially with 16.04...

Cheers and keep up your excellent work, guys!

ThC

14 Posts

Dear Barton,

thank you for your very kind and fast reply. I'd be happy to discuss what happened with the EU sales team, if they think this could be useful to avoid similar issues in the future (in the post I left out the details of which numbers I called, who sent me to whom, etc.). I can be reached at the email in my profile.

Once again, thank you guys for creating project sputnik in the first place and for keeping it going! I look forward to getting my hands on the new Precision, and if I have time I'll try to provide a review.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

Thanks THC-DE for the support and kind words :)

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

@alesfo

I greatly apologize for your experience and appreciate your bringing this to my attention.  I have just forwarded you comment to our European team so that we can investigate this.

Thanks for your support and once again I apologize.

46 Posts

April 14th, 2016 11:00

The i5 config, XPS 13 Developer Edition is now available in US!

I both love and hate the words "Out for Delivery" in equal measure.

;)

5 Posts

April 19th, 2016 05:00

Hi Barton,

I ordered one with "US" keyboard here in Germany. I was holding my breath and yesterday it got delivered. And to my happiness it is a real US layout with horizontal 'return' key!!

Thank you so much for arranging this! I'm very happy with the XPS13-DeveloperEdition.

Henri

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 19th, 2016 05:00

Hi Henri,

Im glad you like it :)  I passed your kind words along to the person in Europe who made this happen.

5 Posts

May 1st, 2016 03:00

Just wanted to say thanks! :-) The laptop is amazing and I'm really happy with it so far - big thanks to everyone involved, both in terms of hardware as well as Linux support (especially upstreaming all fixes - this was one of the main factors why I went with the XPS and not with a Thinkpad).

Thanks!

Michal

PS. In terms of one thing that could be really improved: Dell's website & online shop. IMHO they really show their age - they're are pretty slow and I found them quite a bit non-intuitive and not always reliable.

1 Message

May 9th, 2016 13:00

Hi Barton,

Do you know why we're unable to spec a 7710 with ubuntu *and* the 4k display?

No Events found!