freml
1 Nickel

RE: Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

For some reason Dell GR decided not to bring Dell XPS 13 with i7 to Greece and said they would remove it from the website so it's not confusing. The strange thing is that there is one unit with i5 available on a reseller.

Anyway, this is crazy, I offered to buy an exact version from a different country (UK or anything) so the only thing they would have to do is import it within EU, but they declined.

It's so disappointing... Anyway, I'm looking at other manufacturers now.

0 Kudos

@Freml,

I apologize but I have not heard back from our European team with regards to the situation in Greece.

Let me reach out again.

thanks

Barton George

0 Kudos
sofianito
1 Nickel

Hi George Barton,

Could you please let me know if the XPS 9550 or the Precision 5510 could be ordered with a US keyboard from Spain? I tried to contact Dell chat but they have no clue...

Many thanks.

Sofiane

0 Kudos

Hi @Sofiane,

The US keyboard should be available in Spain but let me reconfirm.  Stand by

thanks!

Barton George

0 Kudos
sofianito
1 Nickel

Thanks George.

Did you have the chance to get a feedback from the Spanish team?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Sofiane

0 Kudos

Hi Sofiane,

Sorry for the delay.  I just went back to the team again and they confirmed that you should be able to get the international US keyboard both for the Precision 5510 and XPS 13 developer edition.  Here is the link for the XPS 13 dev ed.

http://www.dell.com/es/p/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu/pd?ref=PD_OC (change able via drop down in the config column)

Let me know if you have any other issues.

thanks!

Barton George

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sofianito
1 Nickel

Hi George,

Thank you very much for the update.

I never used a US international layout. I believe it would be quite identical to the US Layout, isn't it?

Do you have the link for the precision 5510 model? The only link I found searching in Dell website provides either a Spanish or UK/Irish layout. Here is the link:   http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=xctop5510emea&model_id=precision-m5510-works...

Best regards,

Sofiane

0 Kudos
vmando
1 Copper

Hi, on the Dell website for France, the XPS 13 DE with i7 processor, 8Gb RAM and 256Gb SSD has a price of €1479

www.dell.com/.../pd

versus €1349 for the XPS 13 Windows version

www.dell.com/.../pd

As far as I can see, the only difference between the two models apart from the OS is the touchscreen in the DE. Given that I don't really need the touchscreen, what are some good reasons to buy the DE instead of the Windows edition with dual-boot Ubuntu? Is the DE expected to have a higher level of compatibility and support with respect to Ubuntu upgrades in the future than the Windows edition? 

Thanks!

Stochos
1 Nickel

The XPS 13 DE is not available in South Africa.

And yet the word 'ubuntu' and its concept originates from Southern Africa.

Yet there is demand for this laptop. Please see local forum posts here:

mybroadband.co.za/.../589963-Where-to-buy-a-Dell-XPS-13-Developer-Edition

mybroadband.co.za/.../805721-Dell-XPS-13-laptop-comes-with-Ubuntu-14-04

0 Kudos
Stochos
1 Nickel

Is there a technical constraint on the production side that prevents the XPS 13 DE  being sold with 32G RAM?

I have more than one favourable reviews advocating 32G RAM to 'future proof' there purchase. Here is one:

The XPS 13 DE: Dell continues to build a reliable Linux lineage

0 Kudos