Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2017 07:00

Updating BIOS to 2.1.0 makes support for TB16 even worse

After more or less having given up on Dell being able to provide a working setup with their own products I today found the new BIOS firmware version 2.1.0 and gave it a try. 

My setup: xps13 (9360 running Ubuntu with kernel 4.10) with a TB16 with updated firmware. 

I upgraded previously and spend quite some time trying to solve various issues. Had different docking stations from Dell before and ran into huge issues. That got better with the second TB16 I received (the first was some early bird model apparently and did not work reliable at all). With the current TB16 which I have been using for month now I can boot with a connected dock. Hotplugging will sometimes work, sometimes not. I can attach a screen through the dock (DisplayPort) which works ok-ish, did not even bother to check HDMI because of endless reports that it does not work. Back side audio does not work but the front one, ok, not nice but who cares. The ethernet is unusable, works for maybe a minute, then starts to drop and pick up the connection all the time. Unusable, so I have to use WiFi all the time. Great for a docking station... At least USB in the dock worked for my keyboard and mouse, so for slow devices. 

After upgrading to the current BIOS (2.1.0, had 1.3.2 previously) things have not improved, ethernet still unusable. But to my horror I found out that USB on the dock does not work any more reliably. Keyboard and mouse are recognized and work for maybe a minute, then they die. Replugging them reactivates them, again for maybe a minute. So unusable too now. Great! 

I have to plug both USB receivers into the Laptop itself. Exactly one of the reasons why I invested lots of money into the dock: to not having to attach all sorts of plugs manually. 

This is sooooo frustrating. 
Apparently Dell gave up to find a solution to the problems with their own hardware. 
Why is there a "project" and messages that they are working on a solution, when nothing happens even after month? Frankly I doubt anyone actually works on those huge issues. To me this looks like Dell simply gave up on fixing their own hardware they sold for much money. Very sad. 

Or does anyone have a hint for me that helps solving at least the annoying new issue with the USB ports on the TB16? 
Can I downgrade to a previous version of the BIOS (1.3.2) or will that ruin the system? 

13 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 11:00

@cypher435 Indeed that looks very strange. Version 1.0.7 should be _really_ old. But no mentioning at all of that, just comments about the huge "improvements" it brings.

So what should we do with that "release"?

Again as typical no information at all from Dell.

Sooooo frustrating, how paying customers are treated.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

August 22nd, 2017 12:00

Hi @arkascha,

I wanted to apologize and let you know that we talked about this today in our team meeting and @Dell-Justin C is looking into this.

Thanks for your patience and stay tuned!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 10:00

@Barton,

Thank you.

@Cypher435,

I do not recommend downgrading the BIOS at this time. I will share updates on all this as soon as I have them.

13 Posts

August 23rd, 2017 11:00

@DELL-JustinC

Sorry, but there is something odd here. Your statement sounds very familiar to me, something we could read in many posts, the well known "we are working on something, please be patient". While I very well do understand that it is impossible to give dates for future solutions I still wonder what you statement actually says. I come to the conclusion: basically nothing.

I would like to ask some direct question:

1. what are the exact details DELL is currently working on which have impact on the Linux versions of the XPS series laptops and their USB-C ports?

2. what are the exact issues in that attempt, so what is solved, what is not solved?

3. why is all of this kept so extremely intransparent? Why all those extremely vague statements without _any_ substancial progress for at least many, many months now? What is DELL trying to hold back here?

Transparency is important when trying to ask for patience. Asking and denying any form of transparency (usually) signals that you are trying to buy time without actually working on the topic at all.

Sorry, don't get this wrong, I am not trying to be impolite, nor am I unwilling listen.

But I also have a wide experience in hardware and software projects, successful and failed ones, and, quite frankly, what I see here does not look good.

Any statement to this?

4 Posts

August 24th, 2017 03:00

And it's gone... I guess it was released by mistake.

Interestingly I'm using a colleague's WD16 dock today and it works perfectly. So anyone after a quick fix could get rid of their TB16 and replace it with a WD16. I'm probably going to do exactly that.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2017 07:00

"Interestingly I'm using a colleague's WD16 dock today and it works perfectly..."

Ignore that, the same issue presents with the WD15 dock, but less frequently.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 29th, 2017 09:00

@Arkascha,

If you'd like, you can send me a friend request and we can start a case together.

1.  Dell is aware of the fact that 2.1.0 is causing some TB16 dock instabilities. I can't go into the exact changes made to that BIOS that caused this. The issue is affecting both Windows and Ubuntu systems.

2. BIOS 2.2.1 will have changes to resolve the TB16 dock instabilities and will be released in the near future. I've seen the feedback about this BIOS and I'm very confidant 2.2.1 will resolve this TB16 issue.

3. I will be as transparent as I can, when I can. I get information at a certain speed and am working to build even more internal relationships in order to improve upon that.

August 29th, 2017 10:00

It's weird. I haven't any serious problem with BIOS 2.1 and Dell DS1000 (WD-15 in different form factor as I know). Only one issue with 4.13 kernel is that I have to plug USB cable several times before it'll detect displays

7 Posts

September 1st, 2017 08:00

I'm running into issue (corrupted packets) using the TB16 with Dell Precision 5520. Is there a Bios Update for that machine in the works as well? Or a workaround? This is a major issue greatly affecting my productivity. Thanks for any information.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2017 14:00

I've updated from 1.3.5 (I think) or 1.3.7 to 2.1.0 yesterday, and Thunderbolt 3 has been very unreliable ever since. I have also had a few issues with WiFi. Both issues seem to be related to new errors like “PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, id=00e8(Transmitter ID)” in my kernel logs.

I suppose (or at least I hope) it is the issue that will be fixed in 2.2.1.

In the meantime, I tried to downgrade to 1.3.5 but failed, as EFI downgrades are not possible with fwupd and the exe is not distributed by Dell anymore.

13 Posts

September 4th, 2017 12:00

The thing that really puzzles me is:

why doesn't Dell take back that more than obviously buggy update? Why do they watch more and more paying customers to install that update, run into issues and have they hardware broken?

Unbelievable. Not even a warning about that update like "do not install this!". Nothing. Instead a recommendation to break your stuff.

4 Posts

September 4th, 2017 12:00

@Arkascha well, it also improves other things (I've heard it greatly helped with coil whine, which was unbearable for some people) and I assume it fixes some security issues as well. Still, I'm a bit surprised at how frequently stuff gets broken and how long it takes to fix it… and the lack of transparency really doesn't help

17 Posts

September 4th, 2017 21:00

Agree with ThibG.  I'm not saying it's ok when hardware functionality is broken, but I think we are better off with the latest considering what has been fixed.  Downgrading to anything prior to 2.1.0 and you're adding issues like the Intel ME/AT security hole, or Hyper threading bug.

Anything man made is flawed.

On the other hand, why engineer a dock and not have it be supported on all hardware manufactured by the same company when that hardware can technically plug into and be used with it?  I'm not following the supported vs unsupported logic.

7 Posts

September 5th, 2017 12:00

BIOS 1.4 for Precision 5520 that was recently released has fixed my issues. Yay!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

September 6th, 2017 09:00

Hi Community,

2.2.1 is now available. Looking forward to your feedback.

No Events found!