Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2016 13:00

What's the latest BIOS for an XPS 13 (2015) 9343?

The Arch Linux wiki page for this model refers to a A08 and A09 bios versions. But I can't find those files on a dell.com webpage.

I have 9343_BIOS_Rev_A07.exe installed.

74 Posts

November 9th, 2016 03:00

The arch wiki doesn't cite source or changelog for those, and there is no way to verify that those files have not been tampered with...

If they have been removed from Dell's website, then probably because there were some problems with it, be it copyright claims or functionality issues...

So bottom line: I'd stick with A07 unless they're back on the dell site/some dell official provides checkusms to verify the files.

That being said: if you look at the wiki's editing history, you'll see there's a revision with a direct link to dell's site for the A09 bios

But without changelog/what was changed (and no longer being offered): not worth the risk..

161 Posts

January 16th, 2017 21:00

Has anyone on Linux tried the A09 Bios for the 9343? I just saw the link here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-13-9343-laptop/drivers/advanced

74 Posts

January 18th, 2017 09:00

Installed it, as it says it fixes an issues with touchpad not responding, the other fixes don't apply (don't use the battery pack and don't now that "g/G passwords" would be, and didn't have problems with standby, and it is very clear what "protection" in regards to standby it addresses. Not waking out of standby is power is very low?

Anyway "Fixed touchpad may sometimes freeze in Setup and OS." is enough for me to try it. But too early to tell whether it fully resolves the issue, as it only occurs very infrequently in regular use, and I haven't had a chance to let a cat step on the touchpad yet.

At least I don't see anything wrong, still boots, still works otherwise :-)

161 Posts

January 18th, 2017 16:00

Thanks cloph! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

74 Posts

January 20th, 2017 10:00

Unfortunately doesn't fix the touchpad-freeze problem for me :-(

161 Posts

January 21st, 2017 21:00

Unfortunately doesn't fix the touchpad-freeze problem for me :-(

Dang that is unfortunate, especially since that is listed as one of the issues that is fixed. Have you tried the updated version? The BIOS link says "Release Date: 30 Aug 2016" but "Last Updated: 01 Dec 2016". Maybe the fixed it in the update?

74 Posts

January 31st, 2017 03:00

I think that refers to the download description, not to the firmware file itself (unlikely that they'd use the same version number). The file that is linked to right now is the same I had used to flash (same checksums)

It's not a deal-breaker, as it only occurs very infrequently in regular use (since flashing the update only happened once)

No Events found!