Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2016 23:00

XPS 13 9350 and Ubuntu 16.04

Is updating to ubuntu 16.04 on an XPS 13 9350 SkyLake DE recommended?

Will it improve the stability of the system?

If one decides to go with a fresh install, what additional packages/drivers need to be installed?

11 Posts

April 15th, 2016 04:00

It works for me - I've not had to install any additional drivers.

I have a Windows10 version (I got it before DE was released), so to do the install, I had to change the bios from Raid to normal (which meant that Windows stopped working - but that was fine, because I've wiped it anyway).  Don't know if the hardware on the DE is any different...

14 Posts

April 17th, 2016 09:00

I am running 16.04 on my XPS 13 with i7 6560u and it works great. You must install the latest daily (release candidate) as I got GPU hangs with the Beta 2 image. But it looks like it is going to be a solid release in a couple of days :-)

I did not really like the default 14.04 much. Dell has for some reason chosen to cripple the Super key and I could not install Steam without some weird dependency errors. Furthermore the partitioning scheme with one big partition did not suit me well. I personally like a small root partition (16GB) and a big /home partition to facilitate easier updates. I do not need 32GB for swap neither! Nice initial boot animation though :-)

Remember to make and store a recovery image (iso) by running the Dell recovery tool before doing anything - but then you can just let Ubuntu wipe your disk and reclaim the space for the recovery partition.

The only issues I have seen so far are: The RF kill switch does not work (Fn+PrtScr). The touchscreen stops working after suspend.

11 Posts

April 17th, 2016 12:00

Interesting about the GPU lockups - I might have experienced the same problem (something was locking it anyway - virtualbox related, so could be gpu). 

What kernel do you run?

14 Posts

April 17th, 2016 16:00

The kernel that is running fine is: Linux 4.4.0-18-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP.

I can see, that you should not run a kernel earlier than that:

15 Posts

April 18th, 2016 09:00

I eventually did a fresh install of the 16.04 beta and I am keeping it up to date daily. So far it seems better than my experience with 14.04, but sometimes I feel the laptop gets a bit too hot (just from watching a single youtube video for example).

Moreover, dmesg shows a lot of ACPI related errors.

The most annoying thing is that when I am on an external monitor (connected through VGA and the dell DA200 adapter) sometimes the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then gets back to normal. So far it never happened on the laptop monitor, but I have not done extensive tests.... 

1 Message

June 28th, 2016 21:00

So if I'm reading you (and other sources) correctly, the only way to upgrade from default dell 14.04 is to do a clean install of 16.04 downloaded from Ubuntu.  

I have no objections to a clean install as I too am a bit annoyed at the super key not working and the partition geometry. I just want to make sure before nuking my brand new computer. 

1 Message

July 1st, 2016 15:00

You can fix the super-key issue with the following. I'm not sure what potential knock-ons there might be. My machine seems fine. Well. Mostly. 

sudo apt-get remove dell-super-key

Use the unityshell plugin in compizconfig-settings-manager to re-configure the launcher short-cut

askubuntu.com/.../793713

July 8th, 2016 19:00

Hi All,

This is apparently the exact thread I've been looking for.  I have a non-DE on it's way.  Apparently you can't purchase it with the regular Dell financing, only the Dell Business Financing.  Therefore, I too plan on flattening it immediately and putting 16.04 on it. Is the Dell Recovery Media Creator the best way to accomplish this? How does one go about obtaining an image with the appropriate drivers,  etc.?

Thanks much, 

Laurence M. Schwarz

11 Posts

July 9th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

I have the same (non-DE).  Turned off raid in the bios, and then it installed fine (I let it install over windows - no dual boot).

Everything seems to work fine.  At the time, I used 16.04 beta - but now of course its 16.04 full...

July 9th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

Did you use the "default" image, or were you able to get the Project Sputnik image, and if so, where did you get it from?

Thanks again,

Laurence

11 Posts

July 11th, 2016 01:00

Default image.

July 11th, 2016 08:00

Ah.  Okey doke.

Thanks!

Laurence

2 Posts

July 13th, 2016 02:00

Interesting, on Dell XPS development edition I tried 16.04 from a USB stick without installing. However, I could not connect to WiFi - the network was listed, but after entering the password connection never suuceeded. Then mouse pointer disapperead. I observed this after multiple reboots. Have you experienced any of these?

Thanks!

161 Posts

July 13th, 2016 20:00

Is this 9434 or the newer one? Specifically, do you have broadcom? If broadcom, make sure to add the prorietary driver in the additional drivers dialog.

2 Posts

July 14th, 2016 06:00

This is the new one 9350 with Intell Wireless. It seems WiFi issues is specific to Ubuntu 16.04 installer. I tried Fedora 24 Live from USB stick and there everything works. So I went ahead and installed that Fedora.

No Events found!