Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 24th, 2018 08:00

XPS 13 9350 does not update BIOS automatically

According to https://www.dell.com/support/article/dk/da/dkdhs1/sln171755/updating-the-dell-bios-in-linux-and-ubuntu-environments?lang=en all models from 2015 or later should automatically update the BIOS via the ubuntu package system. That is also my experience with the newer 9370. However the 9350 does not do that automatically.

I run ubuntu linux Bionic on it and I suspect that there is some Dell package that is not installed (and not being updated) that causes this missing automation.

Which package must I install to have the BIOS updated? And from which repository can this package be found?

77 Posts

May 15th, 2020 02:00

And you can also do this before doing the get-updates :

sudo fwupdmgr refresh

this does download a refresh of what's available

77 Posts

May 15th, 2020 02:00

On my machine, the bios is not updated automatically. That's the way it should be.

apt update and upgrade will upgrade the packages

and if there's a bios upgrade, the system will show a pop-up to warn me there is an available update for the bios

on console, you can use fwupdmgr to check if a bios update is available

i had the choice between using fwupdmgr or use the update showed in the Software program to upgrade the BIOS.

automatic upgrade of the BIOS on a machine used for work is dangerous, I dont want this to be automatic. Not even the upgrades.

If I'm working on finishing work to have code pushed in production the updates will wait until the work is done, pushed, tested and confirmed OK. Once I can break things in the machine, I will do the upgrades.

On your machine, you can open a terminal and using root or sudoing :

sudo fwupdmgr get-devices

This will report devices on your machine that have been detected as carrying firmwares

sudo fwupdmgr get-releases

this will download any available updates. it may ask for which device you want to download possible upgrades

On my machine it shows 3 items : initial firmware at version 1.0

version 1.0.6 and version 1.0.7

I have upgraded from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7 but this offfers me the possibility to downgrade if the firmware breaks something like the camera or something important for me.

sudo fwupdmgr update

this will be used to update firmware

First check if you have that command

If so, please check what devices the command report to have firmwares

and check what updates are available if any

No Events found!