Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

March 2nd, 2018 16:00

XPS 13 9370 no bluetooth after suspend

I got a new XPS 13 a couple of days ago. Everything works great with Ubuntu *except* for bluetooth. After a suspend, the bluetooth is lost and doesn't come back. I tried to remove and install the bluetooth driver with `modprobe -r btusb; modprobe btusb` and to restart the bluetooth service but neither things worked. I also reinstalled from factory defaults (just in case) and the problem persists.

April 17th, 2018 00:00

Is there a public bug tracker? I would like to say "me too" instead of filling out a complete bug report.

6 Posts

April 20th, 2018 09:00

I'am also affected by this bug and yes, a bug tracker would be nice. :)

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

April 24th, 2018 15:00

All,

I apologize for the frustration.   

If you are in North America and have contacted support around the bluetooth issue, please send me a direct msg with either your case number, service request number or service tag.  We can then look into the cases from our side and see what's up and where we can help.

thanks!

10 Posts

April 25th, 2018 01:00

I created a bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bug/1766825

If someone has additional info, maybe it would help to put it there. Also a mention, if it affects more people would be nice.

1 Message

April 27th, 2018 14:00

The BIOS disable/enable Wireless/Bluetooth solution worked for me.

April 30th, 2018 05:00

I have the same problem with my 9370. First with Ubuntu 16.04, then with 17.10 and now with 18.04. Sometimes it even happens without the laptop going into suspend mode. One or more shutdown/start cycles are needed to bring BT back to life.

When Bluetooth stops working the settings app shows "No Bluetooth found - Plug in a dongle to use Bluetooth".

It seems like the hardware or driver fails completely at some point.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2018 18:00

I have the same issue. I recently got the laptop and since then Bluetooth has been flaky. Bluetooth is dead everytime the system comes out of sleep.

10 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 07:00

It seems to be a driver issue.

You can use the Windows driver for the Bluetooth module to fix it.

See: https://askubuntu.com/a/1029749/95109

See also: https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bug/1766825

39 Posts

May 5th, 2018 02:00

Solution given above didn't work out for me on Fedora 28.

EDIT: With the solution above I had a kworker running nuts on one of my CPU cores after suspend with Ubuntu 18.04. When I reverted the changes it was back to normal (owner and permissions of the firmware files were right).
Edit2: This was not true - seems to be another issue

The best results I now have with stock Ubuntu 18.04 (no crashed bluetooth after 1,5 days).
Edit3: sadly this is also not true, same behavior again

May 17th, 2018 19:00

I fixed this issue by updating to the latest BlueZ version.

Source: https://askubuntu.com/a/1037065/257682

update bluez to >=5.28.2

18.04 ships with a buggy bluez package for now; newer version is available from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~bluetooth/+archive/ubuntu/bluez:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bluetooth/bluez
sudo apt install bluez

39 Posts

May 18th, 2018 01:00

with updating bluez I can't connect to any bluetooth device at all anymore

Edit: This was after a warm reboot. After a cold boot it works again. If I encounter problems, I'll update this post.

39 Posts

May 18th, 2018 07:00

Ubuntu 18.04, replaced firmware files, updated bluez as mentioned above

Nothing has changed. After a sleep cycle today the bluetooth adapter was gone again.

May 18th, 2018 16:00

@marcauxwrote:

Ubuntu 18.04, replaced firmware files, updated bluez as mentioned above

Nothing has changed. After a sleep cycle today the bluetooth adapter was gone again.

I thought I had solved the issue with updating bluez, However, after a few sleep cycles, I am back to experiencing the same issues. The adapter still disappears on wake.

May 19th, 2018 03:00

(crossposted from a post I just made to the earlier-mentioned bug report - I think that bug report is moving towards fixing it at the firmware level, which is probably the best solution of all, but this might help sooner:)

Catching up as I came at this from another direction. Having got a Windows-installed XPS 13 9370 and installed 18.04 freshly on it itself, its default suspend mode is s2idle, which means lots of battery life gets lost while suspended. But no bluetooth problems. See this askubuntu for more about that.

But when I applied the working fix for that I encountered the problem described here. I've done some different looking around and found this Fedora bug report:  wherein it looks like they may have fixed it for the XPS 13 9360, and that fix is upstream and I guess will appear in 4.17. However that would need to be amended to take in the 9370 too, as it looks like being the same issue.

Currently I'm running the workaround described earlier in that bug report, to use the kernel parameter btusb.enable_autosuspend=n (actually I'm doing it with "options btusb enable_autosuspend=n" in a file in /etc/modprobe.d); but that kernel option only arrived in 4.16 so I'm running the 4.16 mainline kernel to get it. It appears to be working, with bluetooth having survived a couple of deep sleeps so far this morning, but I haven't been running it very long to be sure. (Proving a negative blah.) But this is a lesser workaround, as I understand it, telling the bt adapter not to go to sleep during deep sleep, rather than, presumably preferably, letting it sleep but waking it up thoroughly afterwards, which is the suspend-resume fix.

I think what we probably want is that fix from Redhat that's in btusb.c in kernel head now, to also be applied to 9370. And then for us to get that kernel! Either presumably when the -hwe kernels start, or Dell can push one out, or anyway in 18.10.

May 19th, 2018 04:00

typically after posting that, *then* it failed. Only this time it took out the wifi interface as well (same fix, turn off and on in bios to restore). This happened exactly once before, on the stock ubuntu kernel, so I don't think it's specific to 4.16 mainline.

Also, am reminded to mention, this isn't only affecting Linux users: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Bluetooth-adapter-keeps-disappearing-XPS-15-9560/m-p/6082064#M11092

No Events found!