Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

June 4th, 2018 13:00

XPS 13 DE: From open the box to crash in one minute :-(

I received my brand new Dell XPS 13 Dev Edition today. I unpacked it, plugged it in, booted it up. Ubuntu setup asked me for my language, then it asked me to connect to my wifi. I chose my network, entered my password (knowing this wasn't going to work because I'm on wifi at work which needs username and password, but the form didn't offer that as an option), clicked Next, and.... the system crashed. Rebooted, got to an Ubuntu startup screen that offers Guest Log In and nothing else. Not a great first experience. On chat with support now... does anyone know how to restart the setup script? I can boot, hop into grub, get to recovery mode, get a root prompt, remount as r/w, and change root's password, and go from there... but I'd really rather go through setup as Dell and Ubuntu intended. Whole reason I bought this laptop was to have a well-supported linux that just worked without me having to do stuff like that. 

39 Posts

June 6th, 2018 02:00

I think I also had this problem once.

Dell sugested just downloading the official Ubuntu ISO. The setup process from Dell is far from special. And as the support told me on the telephone (I have Pro Support) there is no support for the "Developer Edition".

The ISO download from the Dell drivers page also does not work (dead link). So the official Ubuntu ISO is the only choice if you don't want to fiddle (it's not worth it).

Good luck having a working bluetooth / wifi stack (https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-Developer-Systems/XPS-13-9370-no-bluetooth-after-suspend/td-p/6022892) (thumbs up)

No Events found!