Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2015 10:00

XPS 13 Out of Stock

So I called into buy a sputnik XPS 13 today, and after 20 minutes of him trying to figure out what this mysterious computer was, he informed me it was out of stock. Is this correct? If so, When do we expect a new batch to be ready?

Thanks, been looking forward to this for a long time, and anxious now that i actually have the money. 

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

August 6th, 2015 16:00

@monprin,

The systems are on temporary stop ship. 

bartongeorge.net/.../xps-13-developer-edition-on-pause

They should be back up soon.

Stay tuned!

2 Posts

August 9th, 2015 08:00

I need to buy my son a new laptop for college.  If I buy a Windows 10 XPS 13, will the Ubuntu images be available later to convert it?

74 Posts

August 9th, 2015 15:00

you don't need a special Ubuntu image - most if not all of the necessary tweaks were provided for upstream inclusion,  and what's needed for the XPS basically is just firmware for the broadcom  bluetooth.

If you wan to run Ubuntu 14 on int, you find the required driver/firmware packages on dell's support/download pages.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2015 19:00

Thanks.  I looked on the support page for the drivers but must have overlooked them.

4 Posts

August 10th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for all your work.

I was really hoping to support you guys in this effort by directly buying the dev edition, but I need a new laptop sooner rather than later so I too have ordered a Windows version with the intention of putting linux on myself. 

Put me into whatever count you need to for your superiors to keep sputnik flying.

Thanks again,

Joe

36 Posts

August 10th, 2015 12:00

If you have the time, can you try out Windows on the XPS? I'm curious to see if the Windows version is more polished than the Dev Edition. Perhaps a separate thread would be better for that. Thanks.

4 Posts

August 12th, 2015 12:00

Yeah I will be using it for a little while with windows till I have some free time to get ubuntu working, I'll report back.

4 Posts

August 13th, 2015 08:00

It is more polished than the dev edition, from what it sounds like, software wise, but holy ***, I must have spent 30-45 min just uninstalling dell stuff and the dreaded McAfee. I decided since I was doing a ubuntu install anyway, I just did a fresh install of windows 10, god only know what dell did to it deeper down. It is nice though, had to tweak some settings and what not. One surprising thing I noticed, I have a FHD one and some of the apps and older microsoft stuff still was not updated for higher resolution, little disappointing considering how good the superficial windows 10 stuff is.

Let me know if you have other questions, I am keeping Windows 10 on a partition should I need it for anything.

36 Posts

August 13th, 2015 08:00

That is relieving to hear. Unfortunately, bloatware is par for the course for almost any OEM Windows install. Even business machines anymore are sent with too much stuff, but not nearly as bad as consumer/home devices.

I've taken old machines at work and did fresh installs of Windows 7, and they are blazing fast even on 5 year old hardware but with solid state drives.

Imagine the scaling problems with QHD, 1080 is almost too many pixels as it is.

The Ubuntu install should be fairly easy. The catch for my upgrade to 15.04 was to enable UEFI and safe boot after installing. It kept trying to do a legacy boot, which doesn't work. If I'd have known that before, I may still be running the Dell image.

Hopefully with the DE being out of stock, Dell is re-compiling their image and drivers. These things should be shipping stock with 15.04 and Intel wireless, not Broadcom and a pieced together kernel.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

August 13th, 2015 13:00

CCBEALL,

If you're in the US, I need to check Europe, the XPS 13 developer edition is back on line! 

www.dell.com/.../pd.aspx

thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

August 13th, 2015 14:00

Thanks for the support Joe!

26 Posts

August 13th, 2015 20:00

I see that the XPS 13 developer edition is back in stock, however the price appears to have increased from before and there is now price parity between comparable XPS 13 hardware configurations with Ubuntu and Windows (save for the silly and immaterial $1.99 discount that is applied to the developer edition).  Is this new pricing correct?

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

August 14th, 2015 07:00

@mmirg,

the ubuntu and windows versions should NOT be the same price.

Thanks for catching this.  I will flag to the web team.

26 Posts

August 14th, 2015 13:00

For more specific reference:

CAX13UBUNTUS5131V:  Developer edition QHD+/i5-5200U/8GB/128GB SSD $1299

CAX13W10B5131:  Windows QHD+/i5-5200U/8GB/128GB SSD $1299

Similarly CAX13UBUNTUS5122V and CAX13W10B5122 are both $1599.

The prices for the Windows models appear to be the same for their corresponding listings in "for work" and "for home".

6 Posts

August 14th, 2015 15:00

Great. Now it is updated. UP. 

The 1.99$ was cancelled during today. (I checked  this morning - the small discount was there, and sometime after Barton's remark here - might not be related at all of course - it is 1.99$ more expensive).

I bought it anyway. Hopefully I could get a refund if it goes back to the 50$ less. As it was before the model went back to factory.

No Events found!