Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2013 10:00

XPS 13 will no longer boot

My XPS 13 Developer Edition purchased in the spring stopped booting today. When I press the power button, the keyboard immediately illuminates and power flows through the USB ports. However, the screen does not light up.

Noticed something similar for the first time last week. My computer occasionally disconnects from my university's wireless network -- I think the wireless driver firmware gets confused about PEAP and all the stations broadcasting in range. When I disconnect, I look at dmesg and it says something to the effect of "new hotspot found" but ultimately I have to do a full reboot in order to reconnect to a network (a pretty big pain). Maybe I should just reinitialize some of the drivers, but "/etc/init.d/networking restart" isn't enough.

So, I restart my computer in one of these wifi failures. Shuts down fine, but doesn't automatically start as it should. Odd. I fiddle with the power button and get the behavior I'm describing above -- keyboard illuminates immediately. I try every combination of holding the power. I am able to turn "on" and "off" something, but not getting to POST / nothing showing up on the screen. Last week, I managed to see the DELL logo and get past POST.

Today, however, I am unable to get anything. Look forward to hearing back from the community about what I should do, be it get on the phone with a DELL rep to get a new laptop, or try a combination of key presses on boot.

Have had packaging issues in the past with Aptitude so I've been very careful to not remove anything that looks important. Just done the normal upgrades that my package manager suggests. I don't want this machine to break, I rely on it. :)

Other than this kind of horrifying issue, generally positive feedback on the product:

Am very happy with my XPS 13 Developer Edition. Got a nice working Linux computer within a day of receiving it, no customization or unnecessary headaches. Perfect because I didn't have a day to spare when I got it, allowed me to just continue focusing on my work. :)

Appreciate the trackpad updates recently released.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

August 11th, 2014 13:00

@LordIl, @BBskeelz et al,

I have pinged the support team here as well.  Stay tuned.

thx

1 Message

August 14th, 2014 18:00

Well I used to have this problem, when I put my ultrabook to sleep and after a few hours I try to turn it on, the keyboard lights up then shuts down, and it takes like 3 - 4 times until it boots up. What you can do is go to the bios settings (if you can get there) and turn off the intel rapid start and the other intel (smart connect) or it was smart storage, but yea you have to turn off both feature from the bios and it boots fine, well it did for me!

Wish you luck!

4 Posts

August 14th, 2014 20:00

I have heard a few solutions related to when I get to bios.  Right now, I can't even get into it.  I will keep it in mind though if I do manage to get into bios.

I tried to do "unplug ac -> hold end -> plug ac -> release end" and get an error that says "Failed to Read bios from Rom".

Thanks for your help.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2014 19:00

How about some advice on how to begin to troubleshoot this.  It's apparent this is a chronic issue. I can't even get the screen to light to get to BIOS or anything.  Bad form dell.

1 Message

April 17th, 2015 14:00

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I was having a similar issue where the laptop would start to boot, get to the screen where the 4 windows colors are circling around and then the screen would turn black but the computer was clearly on (I could hear ding sounds when clicking keys). I finally realized that my issue was that I was setting up one XPS laptop directly on top of another XPS laptop and somehow the magnetic sensor was telling the one on top that the screen was "closed" even though it wasn't. My advice would be to check to make sure that there are no magnetic or metal things near the laptop when you try this. I was able to test by leaving the PC on and when I moved it to directly on top of the other XPS, the screen would turn off. When I moved it away, the screen would turn back on. Hope this helps, I know how extremely frustrating these issues can be...

No Events found!