Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 31st, 2016 11:00

new precision 5510 w/ ubuntu / lshw internal error after update

Hi there, today i received my brand new precision 5510 with ubuntu preinstalled :-D 

My first experiences this afternoon :

- I'm loving it.

- I got regular wifi disconnections so i followed the instructions given by Barton in this thread : 

en.community.dell.com/.../19678137

It seems it did the trick.

- I also searched for updates by doing sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, as per Barton's instructions. There were many of them. 

BUT now i'm getting an internal error everytime i restart the machine. The log mentions 

Executable path : /usr/bin/lshw

Problem type : Crash

And then lots of information (i'm not sure what is useful to report).

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance !

Axel

19 Posts

I have also done these steps and had the same error.  I reported it several times and then checked the box that says something like "don't report this again"

21 Posts

ok thx, well yeah i suppose it is a way to deal with the pb... 

76 Posts

March 31st, 2016 15:00

I have a 2014 XPS 13 (9333) that I've updated to Ubuntu 15.10 (clean install).  About once a month something crashes, then keeps pestering me about sending in another report.  I've created an alias to simply remove the crash log file which cures the problem:

alias crashrm='sudo rm /var/crash/*'

5 Posts

April 1st, 2016 04:00

Apparently they need to patch lshw.

I am getting segmentation faults when running as root to report the current HW config.

The workaround is to use:

sudo lshw -disable SCSI

Probably lshw needs patching with SCSI disabled by default.

21 Posts

April 1st, 2016 18:00

thanks for your responses. I actually have another (critical) problem, but will create a new thread for that one :-) 

No Events found!