Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 22:00

xps 13 (2020) - ubuntu 20.04

Dear all,

I have a question about xps 13 (2020) and Ubuntu 20.04. I have received this machine with Ubuntu 18.04 preinstalled.

I have seen that now this laptop is certified to be compatible also with Ubuntu 20.04 (see here)

From what is stated in What’s new in Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS? - Tier-1 OEM support:

"Starting with Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 LTS, it is now possible to obtain a certified device experience by installing the general release of Ubuntu. When installed on certified hardware, the device-specific enablement will be automatically installed and configured; just as it would be in the preloaded factory images."

I have installed ubuntu 20.04 on my machine. From a quick tour everything seems to work fine.

However, I have seen that dell pre-loaded applications (such as Dell Support Assistant) are not present.

Furthermore, also dell repositories (present in 18.04) are not present in my installation of Ubuntu 20.04.

My question is: what are exactly the difference from a preloaded factory image and the generic one on a certified hardware?

Furthermore, what repository should I add, and what configuration should I perform in order to have the same one of dell preloaded image?

Anyone has any idea?

Thank you in advance for any help.

77 Posts

June 5th, 2020 03:00

18.04 comes with two Dell programs

And the restore image contains a file with a set of packages that might be additionnal to the 20.04 (I did not check)

I am still using 18.04 on mine. Using the machine for development work, I want maximum stability and an operating system that stays quiet and out of my way when programming. As long it is supported I will stay on 18.04 (until 2023 at minimum)

If Dell sets 20.04 as a confirmed upgrade from 18.04 I will upgrade

Can you confirm what works on 20.04 ?

Do you have a 4K ? Touchscreen ? Camera ? Sound ? Both Thunderbolt3 ports ?

Bluetooth, Wifi, etc. ?

14 Posts

July 31st, 2020 15:00

I can confirm that the new Dell XPS 13 9300 with Ubuntu 20.04 installed requires a manual configuration of the infrared camera.

Bluetooth doesn’t stay off when the XPS 13 is rebooted. Bluetooth always turns on again.

Lastly, there is stuttering using Firefox or Chrome when playing 4K video on YouTube. The Core i7 CPU seems to be processing the 4K video fine but I believe new or updated software drivers are needed when Ubuntu 20.04.1 is released.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2021 09:00

Not sure if I can get some help from you.

I have a new XPS13 2-in-1, dual boot.

The touchscreen was working fine in Ubuntu 20.04 until yesterday, but suddenly stopped.

Any guidance on what the problem could be and on how can I fix it?

13 Posts

May 31st, 2021 23:00

Yeah,

The ubuntu-20 repositories had to be manually added on a newly-purchased system a month ago.  Should be an easy fix; not a deal-breaker by any stretch. 

No Events found!