Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2020 19:00

2 in 1 with ubuntu

Hi 1st time post

Is there a list of current 2 in 1 Dell models that ubuntu can be loaded onto?

My concerns are the touch screens not working.

Are there any other gotchas?

12 Posts

August 21st, 2020 06:00

I installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on this one, got the metal model with an i5
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/laptops/new-14-2-in-1/spd/inspiron-14-5400-2-in-1-laptop

I haven't tried the touchscreen as I don't have a stylus, but everything else seems to work just fine.

I'm very happy with this laptop, I was about to buy the XPS 13 Developer Edition but backed out at the last minute because I wanted hardware I can repair and upgrade more easily.  Just last night I added a second 8GB DIMM, bumping my system to 16GB.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2020 12:00

Thank you appreciate the time taken.Just as an aside , could you elaborate as to why you avoided the xps?

12 Posts

August 21st, 2020 14:00

Cost and soldered in RAM.  I didn't have to have the lightest possible laptop, and after I saw both laptops in person at Costco I thought the the 5400 was actually quite nice in comparison.  To me, the XPS wasn't a $500 upgrade over my 5400.  Although it would be really nice, I didn't need official OS support.  Dell would be smart to offer Ubuntu developer editions on a larger range of existing products, they are leaving good money on the table.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2020 15:00

Thank you again.

Unfortunately  where i live, there is only one physical outlet.

I believe we will get costo in the coming year but what with covid, who knows.

Ive looked at there online ordering and tried talking via the chat and phone calls. hopeless.

3 different times and 3 different sets of info plus an aggravated wait while they go off to find answers.

If i cant get from a shop i will have to look elsewhere.

Re the inspiron or any 2in1,  the touch screens, are they all with a pen?

I was hoping for touch as in phone or tablet

12 Posts

September 4th, 2020 15:00

The touchscreen does work with my finger, if that helps you out.

No Events found!