Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2009 11:00

DELL MINI UBUNTU

HI

I HAVE JUST TAKEN DELIVERY OF A DELL MINI WITH UBUNTU 8.04  THE UPDATE MANAGER TELLS ME THERE ARE UPDATES TO INSTALL

AFTER DOWNLOADING UPDATES IT TRIES TO INSTALL THEM BUT FAILS DUE TO ERRORS,  ITS THE SAME TRYING TO INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE IT DOWN LOADS BUT CANNOT INSTALL DUE TO ERRORS

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE

REGARDS

November 12th, 2009 11:00

hi

having same problem and getting no help from dell

thinking of returning it.

can any one help

regards

November 12th, 2009 12:00

hi

i have also tryed the tec support and have been cut off four times

i have also emailed dell twice and no reply as yet think it time to send it back before its to late

November 12th, 2009 12:00

hi

i spent hours trying tec support and was passed to three different guys and nobody  knew anything have tried to email them but system does not recognize my service tag

number

58 Posts

November 12th, 2009 21:00

It would help if you said exactly what the errors are. If possible, copy and paste them. "It doesn't work" is not helpful to diagnosing any problem. Also, the specs of the machine would be useful. If you have a solid state drive it is entirely possible that the updates are filling up the main drive. If so it might be possible to clear the package cache by issuing the command "sudo apt-get clean" at a terminal. Then you might be able to install a few updates at a time without filling up the drive.

November 13th, 2009 10:00

hi

thank you for your reply

you can probably guess iam not an expert with computors but i have managed to get the error code

the machine is only a few days old and as shipped, there seems to be about 2.7 g available on the solid state drive of 8gb running ubunto 8.04

the error message is as follows

E;/var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.24-24-22-lpia_2.6.24-22.45netbook9_lpia.deb:files list file for package*libxcb-shape0* is missing final newline

errors were encountered while proccesing

processing was halted because there were to many errors

E: sub-process/usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) a package failed to install. trying to recover

i have tried the dell tec support but nobody seems to want to know having been passed from one person to another i cant email them because there system does not recognize my service tag number

thank you

rcbarrett88

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 13th, 2009 11:00

I don't have a Dell pre-installed Ubuntu. I am curious.

Are you trying to update from Dell's repositories or are these from the Ubuntu repositories?

By the way, there is a Dell subforum at www.ubuntuforums.org

November 13th, 2009 12:00

hi

i presume its from ubuntus

58 Posts

November 13th, 2009 23:00

It is discouraging that I have yet to hear a positive experience about Dell's customer support when it comes to Linux. Even pointing people to the Ubuntu Forums would be better than giving them the run-around and hanging up on them.

Anyway, I think I have located people having similar problems. There is a bug filed on launchpad about it but there hasn't been much action on it. However there does seem to be a solution for it although it does involve running some commands which may seem rather cryptic to you. Luckily there seems to be a set of commands you can copy/paste. It is linked from the bug report but here is the direct link:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/78863

It looks like there are two possible solutions. The first one suggested is rather long and complicated. If you look at the last post on that question, there is a series of only three commands which should hopefully do the job.

Basically it sounds like Dell has been shipping out Linux installs with a corrupt file in them for several months. Those commands remove the corrupt file and tell the Ubuntu package management tools to reinstall the package that the corrupt file belongs to.

November 14th, 2009 04:00

hi

thank you for your response it worked a treat everything is up to date and working fine thank you again,i cant believe why dell have been so slow in responding to this problem, iam not very impressed with there tec support system it still will not recognize my service tag number

kind regards

No Events found!