Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2009 19:00

Dell Zino HD Linux Option?

Navigating to the Dell Zino HD information from the Dell Australia website - if I look at the "Tech Specs" tab, it lists the following operating systems as available:

Genuine Windows ®  7 Professional 64-Bit
Genuine Windows ®  7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Genuine Windows ®  7 Starter 32-Bit
Ubuntu ®  Linux ®  9.04

However, if I go to try and "customise" one, the only operating system option available is:

Genuine Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64bit (English)

Why is that the case? I would ideally like to buy one either with Linux on it, or buy one without any Operating System to let me choose which OS I want to install on it!

58 Posts

November 30th, 2009 21:00

Yeah, it's great that Dell is offering pre-installed Linux but trying to actually get one from them seems to be like pulling teeth. I just bought a mini 10 with Ubuntu on it. It was much the same as you are describing with the Zino. They advertise Ubuntu on the main mini 10 page but if you actually want to buy Ubuntu you have to go to Dell's "shop for Ubuntu" page first and then find the model you want there. I don't see a Zino there though...

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu

2 Posts

January 13th, 2010 13:00

Hi,I'm from Italy and have the same problem! Can somebody tell us how to order the linux version?

2 Posts

January 14th, 2010 12:00

Today I tried to chat with the technical support.

They told me that the linux option is only available in certain countries.

Moreover, at least in Italy, Dell does not refund the original Windows operating system!

In my opinion this is simply unfair. It's like you buy a new car and have to pay a new driving license even when you already have one!

3 Posts

February 24th, 2010 02:00

+1 here, ordering Ubuntu from Dell is like Pulling your own teeth.

DELL - please start making Linux seriously available!

I'll keep buying system 76 until you do

56 Posts

February 26th, 2010 04:00

Pity all you people suffering from delays in shipping of your Zino are not living in Sweden. I got my delivery via third party partner of Dell within 1 day of ordering. Why not order from them. I'm sure they deliver abroad. Go to www.dustin.se, Select Privat and then search for the Zino.

My machine has worked flawlessly since I got it despite the CPU not being an X2. I'd like to see more video decoders making use of my graphics card GPU though so I can record TV programs at same time as I'm viewing a video. I understand the next version of Flash (10.1) will make full use of the ATI Mobility Radeon GPU so that will be great. I'm not sure if the DTV decoder in Windows 7 does the same? Does anyone know?

202 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 12:00

I PERSONALLY CONSIDER IT BETTER 2 ORDER THE COMPUTERS THAT I BUY WITH WINDOWS  INCLUDED IN THE PURCHASE, AND THEN REFORMAT IT AND INSTALL UBUNTU AFTER I GET THE COMPUTER ON MY OWN, THAT WAY I CAN UPDATE THE BIOS USING MY WINDOWS RESTORE DISK, JUST FYI!

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 13:00

Kevpan, few questions:

1. Dell customer service specifically informed me that the warranty of the unit is voided if I reinstall w/Ubuntu

2. Wouldn't you be able to use the windows restore disk (cd?) to update the BIOS even if your drive boots (only) ubuntu? or do you mean using some fancy recovery partition?

3. Your msg, why all caps?

No Events found!