Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2019 06:00

Inspiron 5585 AMD Ryzen 3700U APU Linux dual boot install issue

Hi guys, 

I recently bought a 5585 with AMD Ryzen 7 3700U APU, and tried to install the Linux for dual boot with built-in Win 10. Created the USB Linux bootable stick and configured the BIOS to disable the secured boot/fast boot as instructions online. But every time I selected the 'install linux' or 'try linux' via UEFI mode from USB boot GNU GRUB, the laptop would then freeze and stuck with a black screen. 

Also tried to set the Linux boot parameters in GRUB, e.g. 'nomodeset', 'amd_iommu=off', noapci, noapic, etc. Almost all the ways I found in community and other online forums, but still failed to install dual bootable Linux, which makes me a bit frustrated.

Hope to get help and any idea to resolve the issue.

Thanks

1 Message

July 17th, 2019 10:00

I encountered the same issue on my Inspiron 5485. I found that setting "Sleep Mode" to "Force S3" in the bios enabled Ubuntu 19.04 to install and run cleanly. You can find more details here, including the real debugging done by others:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203431

July 29th, 2019 20:00

Awesome, it works! Thanks a lot, Brain. In addition, since the 3700U is the Raven/Picasso arch, the build-in 4.18.0 kernel version is not supported for Raven board. I've tried to manually upgrade the kernel to 5.1.0 and the AMGPU driver module is successfully loaded.

I've upgraded the RAM to dual-channel 32 GB 2400 MHz and added a SATA III SSD in addition to the build-in M.2 NVME PCIe 256 GB SSD. The laptop with AMD Ryzen 3700U book is way more faster and really amazing experience with Linux.

1 Message

October 30th, 2019 14:00

Hello,

Thanks for this good solution, it works on mint 19.2 too.

I'have still a VERY STRANGE behaviours about memory detection.

Bios say 8Go (2 x 4Go), bios extend tests for memory test only 5924MB, and linux detect only 6Go (same as memtest, ...)

I update bios from 2.2.3 to 2.3.1, but nothing change.

Do you notice same bahaviours ?

Best Regards

1 Message

January 3rd, 2020 15:00

2GB is reserved for the video card.

No Events found!