Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2017 14:00

Inspiron 5657 laptop and linux?

Can someone clarify the Dell/Linux situation?  I'd like to buy a 5657 laptop (specifically i5767-6370GRY for $699) but I can only seem to purchase a Windows version and can't establish whether I'll be able to run something like Ubuntu 16.04.2 on it.  I'm happy to spend the extra $ and throw windows away, but only if I'm sure it will work.  Ubuntu says the 5767 is certified for pre-install Ubuntu (https://certification.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/component/dmi/4755/dmi:Inspiron5767 and that's a different configuration). The Dell site (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/SupportedOS/Inspiron-17-5767-laptop) says the 5767 supports 16.04.02 (no caveats) but I can't find any drivers, ISOs, etc... anywhere on the Dell support sites. There's plenty of discussion about "recovering" the pre-installed Ubuntu, but that only seems to bepossible where you purchased the Linux version.  I have found individual linux drivers for things like the the M445 video card, and don't mind adding drivers after the install, but if the machine is too hosed to work with a generic load I'll be stuck.  This is very frustrating, I'm happy to buy a Dell (shy about the 3rd party linux laptops) but Dell seems to be going out of thier way to make this painful.  (I do know they have other models, but since I need a 17" screen (old eyes) my alternative would be a 7720 that costs about $1000 more).  Thanks for any comments.

1 Message

August 9th, 2017 08:00

Hi hpcpony, this dell inspiron 15 5657 here in Australia with i7 and radeon graphics cost $1260 Australian dollars, yesterday, but has windows 10 as the os, I could not purchase the one with Ubuntu here so am hoping to be able to put Linux mint 18.2 Cinnamon on it, also I can find no answers to this your question here in Australia, the support seems poor so far. will update in few days

4 Posts

November 6th, 2017 09:00

I'm using Dell Inspiron 3567 (laptop with AMD graphics) with Linux so your experience should similar to mine.

These laptops can come with Ubuntu 16.04 which contains some software pre-installed and configurated. I didn't use it personally so I can't comment more on it but it worked great out-of-box.

It's pretty simple to setup Dell laptop with Linux. I've tried Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Arch Linux and etc. If you have AMD graphics card it's better to stick with open radeon drivers which come with OS (they're better than closed ones). Linux distribution should install all required drivers for your laptop so you won't need to do anything more after the installation. I'm not sure about the kernels but I think newer kernel would help with new features introduced in a Kaby Lake or Skylake processors. The most annoying things I found are audio jack issues and noisy fan speeds.

No Events found!