Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2007 09:00

Inspiron 6000 touchpad problem/ How do I set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf

Just installed Ubuntu last week and not sure what I'm doing yet, when I move the curser around it constantly left clicks on objects, this started about 2 months ago when I was still running windows but wasn't as bad, seen a thread in the laptop section to check if the tap to click function was on but the instructions were for windows. If I go to System-Preferences-Touchpad I get a message saying GSynaptics couldn't initialize You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics. How do you do that? This is my first time using linux and I'd hate to experiment, I was hoping to dual boot but I don't see windows in my grub so I think I wiped that,oops, so fixing it that way's not an option. Everything else I've been figuring out and am pretty satisfied.

Message Edited by zabien1970 on 06-24-2007 08:39 PM

5 Posts

June 27th, 2007 16:00

You want to add this line (without quotes):

Option HorizScrollDelta 0

to this file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

but first backup the file by typing at the commandline:

cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig

put it in the InputDevice section and make sure it's before the EndSection line. You'll need to do all this from the commandline as root (use sudo -i) and the nano text editor. Or for the editing part you can press ALT F2 and type "gksudo gedit" to use a graphical editor.

Sahuaro Phoenix Linux Users Group "Penguins in the desert"

5 Posts

June 30th, 2007 05:00

Sahuaro, Since I'm new to this it actually took me awhile to figure out how to do this, I didn't know I had to use "cd" to get to the file, once I was in though the line you mentioned already existed, going through different forums I realized this is a major issue with laptops. Good news though, I did get it fixed! I had to add 2 lines "MaxTapTime" "0" "SHMConfig" "true" Now I am truly happy with my system, it is alot faster and runs alot cooler, I was always amazed at how much heat this thing put out but being my first laptop didn't think much of it, running linux there is a noticeable difference. I was disappointed when I realized my dual boot failed and I wiped windows, I was hoping to keep it for a while in case I messed up and couldn't go online for help, but now I realize that this is forcing me to learn this OS in a hurry since I have to get things to work, I just got my DVD player working, next is my AIO DELL Printer, hopefully DELL has some pull in getting drivers for their accessories. Sorry for going on and on but I am so impressed with Linux I feel like a kid in a candy shop :)
No Events found!