Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

January 6th, 2019 09:00

Install a Clean Ubuntu on G3 17-3779 with EFI Partition

Hi,

I bought a Dell G3 17 3779, after 7+1/2 years working happily with a solid and durable Vostro 3750. I always install clean ubuntu releases in a specific root partition.

Since when I received the new G3 3779, I have seen that the preinstalled Ubuntu 16.04 has OEM customizations. Besides, I see that there is an EFI partition used by the BIOS UEFI Settings and Ubuntu for some reason.

This is how the SSD is Partitioned:

Screenshot from 2019-01-06 18-02-48.png

I am absolutely not familiar with this approach that uses EFI Partition.

Then, I have doubts about how to install a clean ubuntu release on my new laptop without making damages.

I have some questions:

1. Can I remove the nvme0n1p2 partition with Basic Data Partition used for windows?

2. What is the REAL and TRUE utility of the EFI Partition? Do I need it to use the SSD properly?

3. How can I install a Clean Ubuntu and make it really work having the EFI Partition? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to report one more thing.

Of course, I don't want to depend forever from the Dell drivers, applications, and repositories.

The Ubuntu 18.10 Live Distro worked very well with the laptop, including also NVidia Drivers and other things. This suggests me that soon, the dependency from Dell drivers will disappear.

Indeed, I upgraded the preinstalled Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.10 getting a device that works much better than before with a decreased dependency of specific drivers.

This is the Driver Dependency with Ubuntu 16.04 Dell OEM:

Screenshot from 2019-01-02 10-39-35.png

This is the Driver Dependency with Ubuntu 18.10 Official Release:

Screenshot from 2019-01-06 18-17-39.png

As you see, everything has improved.

The upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 used kernel modules OEM.

In the end, with the upgrade to 18.10, the Ubuntu created and now it uses the Generic Kernel.

Here you can see the links to the Newest and Generic Kernel and Images and the old links to the OEM Kernel:

Screenshot from 2019-01-06 18-28-30.png

I disabled the Dell repositories that were only for Ubuntu 16.04.

I see that the laptop work very well with Ubuntu 18.10 and generic kernel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Kindly, How can I Install clean Ubuntu Releases having the EFI Partition without making damages and making it work properly?  

Besides, without having to depend on the Dell Drivers and Repositories.

2. Do you have experience with clean installations having EFI?

3. Can I remove the Basic Data Partition for windows?

Thank you very much for the support.

Kind regards

G. Aloe

No Responses!
No Events found!