Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

May 25th, 2007 15:00

Jesse: Please Look Into This

Jesse:

According to the Wiki, (http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Clients/Products/Inspiron_1505n ) the Conexant modem requires hsfmodem "available only from support.dell.com." I followed that link and the driver is not available there. Would you be so kind as to find out where they have hidden the driver and ask your support department to update the link? Also, would you let us know here in the forum?

Thank you.

• 

17K Posts

May 25th, 2007 15:00

hotshotDJ,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Yes, I will find out and post back here. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

• 

17K Posts

May 25th, 2007 17:00

hotshotDJ,

I have reported this to the wiki people. Hopefully, they will resolve it very soon. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

Message Edited by DELL-Jesse on 05-25-2007 01:44 PM

May 26th, 2007 18:00

Why would any Linux driver be "only available from" a particular site? Could it be that Dell does not understand FOSS and Linux? This is not how offering Linux should be done!

136 Posts

May 26th, 2007 19:00

DarthMarley:

There is no question in my mind that Dell is experiencing a "learning curve" regarding Linux. But I do think that they are finally getting it. Look at the Direct2Dell site and other public statements where they discuss using FOSS drivers whenever possible and working with their vendors to get drivers that are maintained upstream in the kernel. There is also evidence that they are having a difficult time extracting themselves from the old WinTel model -- their recent deal with Microsoft to purchase SuSE coupons is one such example. Under the business model that Dell and other OEM's have operated for over 20 years, this deal makes perfect sense. To the rest of us, we can only shrug our shoulders and say "Huh???" (And, unfortunately, there are people who would have purchased one of Dell's new Ubuntu systems but have decided that the alliance with Novel and Microsoft is a deal-breaker).

This business of making the Conexant driver available is not entirely Dell's fault. Yes, it was Dell that chose this particular modem. But in order to get a Linux notebook out ASAP, they had to go with what they had. The driver for this modem is proprietary software that is available only through Linuxant. In order to make it available to users, Dell would have had to make a licensing agreement with Linuxant, which would explain the "only available from" thing. While I understand why this is the case, I agree that it is not the best situation, and over the long-term is unacceptable. I would hope that for the future, Dell begins using a modem that has FOSS drivers (much easier said than done in the softmodem world -- but not impossible). This also applies to their Dell-Branded printers. If one were to believe Dell, only very expensive printers work with Linux. There are many inexpensive printers (e.g. Epson and HP) that work perfectly in Linux. Hopefully, Dell will be able to get Lexmark to open their drivers or show them the door.

Only time will tell if Dell really "gets it." If they do, as contracts with vendors expire, they will renew only with those who provide FOSS drivers or, at the very least, freely available and redistributable binary drivers for Linux. Once this process is completed, they will be able to make every system they sell "Linux Compatible" and give their customers real choices.

20 Posts

May 27th, 2007 15:00

Well said, HotShotDJ...

Time will tell.

136 Posts

May 29th, 2007 20:00

Jesse:

Any news? The wiki continues to refer users to support.dell.com where there is no sign of the driver. I realize that there has been a long holiday weekend between Friday morning and this evening. But I have only asked for a link to the driver, not for them to write it from scratch.
No Events found!