Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

August 7th, 2019 12:00

Latitude 7300 touchpad tap intermittent on Ubuntu 18.04

The touchpad "taps" on my Latitude 7300 (13"/I7/32G Ram) would occasionally stop working after installing Ubuntu 18.4 using Gnome.  Today, it seems to have quit completely.  A cold reboot brought it back, now it has stopped again.  Recently, this seems related to happening after the screen locks.  The touchpad buttons continue to work, mouse movement works, and scrolling works.  No taps are recognized at all.

My xinput show my touchpad, and xinput --list-props shows it as enabled.  Are there any trails I can pursue to see what might be going wrong?  Does Dell use a different driver than the one found in the Ubuntu package managers?

1 Message

August 29th, 2019 10:00

I am having the same issue on a few 7300s at our work.    Windows 10 image but the same symptoms.   I was leaning towards power save settings...   Unsure if this issue is below the OS level or not...

2 Posts

August 30th, 2019 03:00

I haven't really solved this Andy, but I have a workaround that solves it for me.  In Ubuntu/Gnome, I disabled the option that will disable the touchpad when I type.  The problem has not re-occurred since doing that.

Right now, I am leaning toward this being a Gnome problem for me, and most likely due to how Gnome is disabling the touchpad.  I could not find anything in the BIOS that may have been doing the same (and potentially causing a sync problem with Gnome), but a friend who has done a pretty fair amount of Linux packaging for Redhat assured me that Gnome is pretty funky on this specific feature and how it gets implemented.

I am sure it has a true solution, but I don't have time to file a bug report with Gnome to see if I can help solve it.  Perhaps, Windows is doing something similar to Gnome (actually, more likely Gnome is doing something similar to Windows).

No Events found!