Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2008 09:00

Latitude E series and Ubuntu

I plan to buy a latitude E6400, but would like to know the compatibility of the new E series with linux. I would prefer ubuntu, but debian would as well do fine.

I have done some research on the net but couldn't find many answers.

So here is what I found:

The E6400 is said to come with the Intel® 45 Express-Chipset. I assume it is the GM45 express chipset (tell me if I'm wrong).

On www.linuxdevices.com a news (16/07/2008) report that intel claims compatibility with Red Hat, Red Flag, and SuSE Linux, as well as VxWorks, but there is no info about what compatibility indeed means (are the drivers still to be written?).

There seems to be some issues with the onboard video card Intel GMA X4500HD, see this post (14/08/2008).

On www.phoronix.com, there is a review of the performance of the Intel GMA X4500HD with linux, and a lot of hint to install the needed driver for the G45 express chipset, where I assume that the G45 is the desktop version of the GM45 (tell me if I'm wrong): Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 3 with the Linux 2.6.26 kernel + xf86-video-intel 2.4.0 driver for mode-setting, 2D, and video support + the latest DRM/Mesa code for the OpenGL acceleration.

But I don't know how far this applies to the GM45 chipset.

Anyone having more/other informations?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 20th, 2008 15:00

8.04 loads on an E6400. Still wonking around with the NIC and wireless but other than that basic functionality is happy. Working on the rest of the hardware.... more fun with kernel modules being written in my future

3 Posts

August 21st, 2008 10:00

Nice! let me know about your progresses.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 21st, 2008 13:00

The lovely e1000e for the NIC does not play ball yet. It requires some tweaks.

Correct one is here: http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/249971/intel-pro-1000-family-network-driver-2.9.5-linux-2.4.x-and-2.6.x-kernels-free-download.html

But it's not happy. Still fighting with the wireless. Hoiping that the NDIS wrapper route is not required.

3 Posts

September 12th, 2008 13:00

Some feed-back on ubuntu on the E6400.

Installation: feisty (8.04) just didn't work for me, the screen, the keyboard and the wifi were not recognized. 

I had some more luck with Intrepid (8.10 alpha 5), after partitioning with gparted (cause the partioner of the ubuntu installer didn't work), the installation went through like a charm.

What works: A lot of things work out of the box like wifi, backlight keyboard, sound, display with sensitive dimming, 3d desktop.

What doesn't: suspend and hibernate let the notebook go in sleepy state, but resume come up on a freezed display. Most of the time the notebook can't start right away from off state and freezes on the booting process, fortunately rebooting solves the problem.

Last, after having done an update yesterday (it worked well before), the appearance setting are not saved persistently between sessions (computer off/on) and a boot starts always with 3d effect desktop.

I didn't manage to get the microphone to work yet, although it is recognized.

Some other experiences, feedback, solutions welcome.

No Events found!