Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 19th, 2006 14:00

Linux USB Problems on Dimension E521 AMD 64 X2

Hi,

Anyone else try running Linux (in my case Ubuntu 6.06) on the E521 with the AMD 64 X2 processor? I am having a problem when using xorg where my USB devices, more often my mouse, but my keyboard has had the problem as well stops working. It is almost like the interrupts start getting masked, but it isn't that. Because when the mouse stops working I am usually able to still use the keyboard.

It happens after a while, and usually in times of heavy use. I guess really instead of heavy I would say normal. But it has never happened that it will be working and then I let it lay idle for a while and then reach for it again and it be frozen.

This started happening under the amd64 version of Ubuntu but I have tried several different versions by now and the problem continues to happen.

As far as troubleshooting it has been a real pain. There is never a message in the kernel log or shown by running dmesg. Actually once or twice I have seen the irq status -71 received, but I am pretty sure that is not the cause, becuase it has only happened about twice out of maybe 40 occurances. And there is no message in the Xorg log either.

I have tried the default amd64-generic kernel the latest amd64-generic, the latest amd64-k8 kernel (I think 2.6.15-27.48) I have tried running the i386 uniprocessor kernel and the latest k7-smp kernel. All of them have the same problem.

In an effort to get to the bottom of it I have re-compiled the kernel according to the directions here: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Kernel_Compilation_Dapper and turned on debugfs and collected data, but there doesn't seem to be anything of interest. It seems I get hundreds of thousands of lines of -115 status (Which I believe is the controller just telling the device that yeah, I hear ya and I am going to do something EINPROGRESS) and then nothing. The mouse appears to continue to function at least the circuit which senses movement and turns the LED into bright mode. And under Windows I have had no problems at all.

The only solution that always works is to disconnect the USB cable and then reconnect it, which grabs a new device file /dev/input/event7 and probably does some other magic registers with the USB controller, and a bunch of other stuff and then the mouse starts working again.

The only other consistent problem I have noted is the IOAPIC stuff complains about a bug, and sometimes it won't boot and panics, other times it figures out a way to get by and does so. Because of this I have tried booting with noapic and other than changing the way /proc/interrupts looks there seems to be no change in the problem. Eventually under usage the mouse stops responding entirely. Even looking at cat /dev/input/mice there is nothing getting there.

I have upgraded the BIOS to 1.0.3 that had no effect. And also turned off the Cool and Quiet support in the bios.

Any thoughts, recommendations of how to proceed, or any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin

13 Posts

October 30th, 2006 03:00

Has anyone tried a USB Hub?

I just plugged the mouse into the hub on the back of the multimedia keyboard and now it works fine in Edgy and Knoppix 5.0.1. But now the keyboard sometimes gets stuck repeating keys.

10 Posts

October 30th, 2006 11:00

Yes, I tried a USB hub on my C521 with both my mouse and keyboard plugged in. Crashes seemed a bit less frequent, but still happened. Also tried a M$ mouse on the suggestion of one of the Mandriva mods - hypothesis was that this rodent was a bit better behaved. Again, crashes were less frequent but still occurred - with the same info by dmesg.

I REALLY hope Dell starts to take notice. This is getting around on the forums for most of the large distributions and can't be good for sales of these boxes. There was a LOT of interest in these as Linux boxes...

7 Posts

October 30th, 2006 11:00

They even advertised it as a system to run Linux on. I would think that they would want to fix this one....

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

4 Posts

October 30th, 2006 18:00

Hello,

I've got the exact same problem on FreeBSD. Details can be found at http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2006-October/002647.html

With a little help from Dell I'm sure this very annoying issue will be resolved in a timely manner.

20 Posts

October 30th, 2006 22:00

Oh my God, not in FreeBSD too! That makes the Linux kernel look a lot less suspicious, and Xorg a lot more. Had not someone said gpm also locked when using the mouse in the console, with no X necessary?

November 3rd, 2006 13:00

Hi,

I habe experienced the same problems on a E521 running an Athlon X2 both with SUSE 10.1 and Fedora Core 5. Quite often my mouse hangs, and a few times also my keyboard happened not to react any more. To get them working again, I have to unplug them or to reload the ohci driver (if only the mouse hangs):

rmmod ohci_hcd; modprobe ohci_hcd

Furthermore, if the mouse hangs, in /dev/input/mice there isn't any more information comming until I get it working again, so the problem can't have anything to do with Xorg, but rather it is in or below the kernel level. But as there are also the same problems with FreeBSD, as jbquenot has reported, I also think that the problem must be related to the BIOS or the hardware level. At least, I have to turn off either APIC with the 'noapic' option or ACPI IRQ-routing with 'acpi=noirq' because otherwise the system won't even boot.

November 4th, 2006 18:00

THE PROBLEM SEEMS NOT TO RESTRICT ITSELF ON THE BUILT-IN USB DEVICES ONLY!

Recently I have built the D-Link DWL-G520 wlan PCI-device into my computer. It has an Atheros chipset and therefore I use the madwifi driver and WPA-PSK encryption with wpa_supplicant.

Under Linux it sometimes just loses the connection to the access point. After reloading the kernel modules I haven't succeded reestablishing the connection yet, however, after booting I can set up the wlan interface again.

Has anyone experienced problems with devices other than usb?

5 Posts

November 6th, 2006 19:00

It is nothing to do with Linux. I have a USB storage, and occasionally, the computer gets stuck at the very first page (the one with Dell logo thing!) when the USB storage is connected.

I use Gentoo, and also I have loads of problems turning off the pc. I had this mouse problem during the past 3-4 weeks, but thought it was kernel issue.

4 Posts

November 7th, 2006 01:00

We all agree that E521 does not work with non-Windows OS. Now, to move forward we have to find a compelling reason for Dell to accept a product return. I contacted the Dell support and was instructed to install Windows to test if the problem still occurs. Does one of you know if the problem occurs on Windows, at least in some specific configuration or combination of third-party hardware? If I could find a bug that can be reliably reproducted on Windows, Dell would certainly accept a product return.

Any ideas?

PS: Of course if a BIOS update that fixes the problem could be made available, product return would not be needed.

20 Posts

November 7th, 2006 05:00

If it gets stuck at that point, it might be a totally different problem that is very easy to solve: The computer might be trying to boot from the USB storage device, which has no OS to boot. Simply set the BIOS to put the USB storage below the hard disk in boot preference, and the problem will be fixed. Of course, then you will have to hit F12 to choose booting from the flash bar when that is what you want to do.

20 Posts

November 7th, 2006 05:00

The E521 works with windows just fine. It is Linux that fails, any version, which is the excuse Dell gives to TOTALLY ignore our problem. It is like you bought a car that crashed when driving in the UK, and Ford said "we don't support driving on the left side, but simply ask the brits to drive on the right".

Whether the problem is in the E521 BIOS or whether it is in the Linux kernel code, what Dell should do is PAY SOMEONE TO FIX IT. It looks as an extremely simple problem to fix for somebody with the right kernel development experience.

We have to demand that Dell fixes the problem, because it is an EVIDENT problem that happens with a VERY IMPORTANT SET OF SOFTWARE PROGRAMS (all of Linux GUI apps), because they have been so INCOMPETENT TO LET SLIP BY QA, and because they have FOOLED US into buying this devices NOT TELLING US THAT LINUX DOES NOT RUN, even when in the States they market this computer without an OS as a platform whereupon to run Linux.

5 Posts

November 7th, 2006 13:00

Another option is to buy a USB hub, powered directly from plug.
But 2 points:
First, What if I need my PCI slot for other cards, say sound card.

Secondly, why should I pay extra, when there is a fault (so far seems to be a hardware problem, otherwise can be proven by DELL)in a brand new product.

1 Message

Hi,

If I use the vesa driver, then the mouse works, but if I'm using the nvidia supplied driver then the mouse doesn't work at all.

This is under Fedora Core 5, kernel 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp with the following nvidia driver:
kmod-nvidia-smp-1.0.8774-1.2.6.18_1.2200.fc5
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.8774-1.lvn5
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel-1.0.8774-1.lvn5

This is wierd...

From my Xorg.0.log:
--- Xorg.0.log.nv 2006-11-07 10:54:23.000000000 +0100
+++ Xorg.0.log.vesa 2006-11-07 10:55:34.000000000 +0100

[...snip..]
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
-(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type: Other)
(--) Mouse0: PnP-detected protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
+(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

Hmm, does anyone know what a "NVIDIA Event Handler" is?

Can anyone confirm that you can get a functioning mouse by using the vesa driver ?

Message Edited by jfromer on 11-07-2006 09:40 AM

7 Posts

Well, I put in a $15 pci USB card and plugged the mouse and keyboard into it. Problem gone. 5 Days heavy usage uptime without a mouse error so far.

November 7th, 2006 15:00

As Dell doesn't ship this system without Windows in Germany, unfortunately I can't blame them legally. However, I'm going to contact them by post.

Just for confirmation I want to ask explicitly: Do this problems appear also on the n-Series, or have all of you bought the standard version shipped with Windows?

EDIT: @jfromer: No, unfortunately my mouse works neither on SUSE nor on FC properly, independent of the graphics driver.

Message Edited by thermostat on 11-07-2006 11:54 AM

No Events found!