Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2014 00:00

M4800 and linux

Hello,

I purchased the M4800 to run Linux on it. I selected this model because it said to be certified for RedHat and Ubuntu. I downloaded several distro (Ubuntu 12.04.3, Kubuntu 12.04.3, Debian 7.3) on USB sticks. I'm not able to install one of them .. main reasons drivers issues: Haswell, Ethernet, wifi not being recognized. So I cannot even perform a network install.

How can it be certified Ubuntu 12.04 if we cannot install it? Were can I find an official procedure? Is there a specific Linux iso from Dell with drivers embedded?

Thanks,

L.

8 Posts

February 16th, 2014 09:00

Ubuntu 12.04.3 was a bit old for the hardware you've got (Haswell specially). Same problem with Debian 7, you'd have to go for Debian Testing to get your hardware supported.

Try out the recently released Ubuntu 12.04.4, which has the hardware support stack of the latest Ubuntu 13.10.

4 Posts

February 24th, 2014 15:00

Thank you for your answer.

After some research, I also found out that the kernel version needs to be quite recent for this hardware. For the time being, I managed to install Kubuntu 13.10 ... and grab vendor's drivers on their website.

Dell is selling some laptops certified Ubuntu but if you are a novice and follow what it is said on their website, it simply doesn't work. For the M4800 driver page, the installation procedure of te custom Dell iso image or the official ubuntu 12.04.2 image cannot boot on such hardware. And the recommended drivers update (if you managed to install Linux with a recent kernel) are obsolete and experimental. It is really disappointing.

How can they provide wrong installation procedure (Nvidia Optimus deactivation before booting = black screen), obsolete iso installation and obsolete drivers for this laptop? The installation procedure is from the 10th of January 2014!!

I still don't have Wifi ... the latest broadcom drivers see wifi network but doesn't manage to connect. I tried with wpa_supplicant, nmcli and Kubuntu plasma-nm ... no luck. If it continues like this, I will end up buying a new wifi Intel card with proper drivers ... 

9 Posts

February 27th, 2014 13:00

I'm installing ubuntu and win7 in dual boot.
I agree with you, Dell dvd image is very old and Dell updates are quite buggy.
I'm installing 12.04 LTS alternate.
Little problems with audio driver, nvidia quadro k1100m driver and fingerprint driver (maybe this one will be a big problem)

April 12th, 2014 18:00

Today I've replaced the  WWan 3G modem DW5570 (aka Sierra Wireless MC8805) with a Sierra Wireless MC7710. In difference to the DW5570 the MC7710 was detected by the Laptop BIOS and worked out of the box with a current Ubuntu 14.04

Has anybody found a solution for the (wireless) smartcard reader/fingerprint reader combo yet ?

This device: Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0a5c:5802 Broadcom Corp. BCM5880 Secure Applications Processor with fingerprint touch sensor

9 Posts

April 13th, 2014 01:00

I have those problems too.
I have dual boot: win7 (only for one software) and ububtu 14.04 (for all)

On Ubuntu:
- nvidia quadro fails to start (always)
- fingerprint fails (always)
- if audio is ok, bluetooth fails
- if bluetooth is ok, audio fails

I hope someone find a solution. Dell support told me the don't give support on linux.
Bad practice for that big company.

April 13th, 2014 05:00

On Ubuntu:

What do you mean by "fails to start (always)"?

What are you trying to "start"?

What do you mean by "fingerprint fails (always)"?

What are you doing there?

9 Posts

April 13th, 2014 09:00

For fail to start I mean I'm not able to use those devices.
Fingerprint and Nvidia are not functional (for now).
I use nvidia-prime 0.6.2 and Nvidia 331.38
About Fingerprint, I tried fprint without success (there's no driver)

[quote user="sgdm"]

On Ubuntu:

What do you mean by "fails to start (always)"?

What are you trying to "start"?

What do you mean by "fingerprint fails (always)"?

What are you doing there?

[/quote]

April 13th, 2014 12:00

First of all remove nvidia-prime. The M4800 does NOT support hybrid graphics

with a QHD+ display.

Did you start the kernel with the "nomodset" parameter?

I personally have the QHD+ display, a FullHD and a WUXGA monitor connected and in use at this very moment. The FullHD Monitor is connected via DVI (connected to the Dockinstation) and the WUXGA Monitor via Displayport (connected to the  DP port on the right side of the laptop)

First you have to get the Broadcom  BCM5880 Security Processor out of its "secure boot only" operations mode:

http://ridrix.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/how-to-enable-pcsc-support-for-dell-contactless-reader/

The fingerprint reader as well as both smart card readers are connected to it.
I havn't tried fiddling with the Fingerprint reader under Linux yet, but I have hope to get the smart card reader to work at least.

9 Posts

April 14th, 2014 00:00

Thanks a lot Michael.
I tried yesterdy without success. Maybe I have to wait the final 14.04 and reinstall Ubuntu (to have a very clean install) and retry again.

I hope to use your suggestments to solve those problems!
:-)

[quote user="sgdm"]

First of all remove nvidia-prime. The M4800 does NOT support hybrid graphics

with a QHD+ display.

Did you start the kernel with the "nomodset" parameter?

I personally have the QHD+ display, a FullHD and a WUXGA monitor connected and in use at this very moment. The FullHD Monitor is connected via DVI (connected to the Dockinstation) and the WUXGA Monitor via Displayport (connected to the  DP port on the right side of the laptop)

First you have to get the Broadcom  BCM5880 Security Processor out of its "secure boot only" operations mode:

http://ridrix.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/how-to-enable-pcsc-support-for-dell-contactless-reader/

The fingerprint reader as well as both smart card readers are connected to it.
I havn't tried fiddling with the Fingerprint reader under Linux yet, but I have hope to get the smart card reader to work at least.

[/quote]

April 14th, 2014 00:00

Thanks a lot Michael.
I tried yesterdy without success. Maybe I have to wait the final 14.04 and reinstall Ubuntu (to have a very clean install) and retry again.

I hope to use your suggestments to solve those problems!
:-)

I'm running current Ubuntu 14.04. (And I'm updating every day)

There is no real reason to wait with your reinstall.

3 Posts

June 25th, 2017 07:00

In my case on Win7x64 touchpad and audio are messy. If starts on of them the other fails. or both fails. But both after one and a half year of usage? what happened?...

What should I do?

I updated my drivers, all of them, I reinstalled OS, BIOS update, still no solution for my problem.

I disabled touchpad in BIOS, but I have no sound. Sometimes, if I'm lucky enough, I may have, but mostly do not...

If they do not give support on linux, nor windows, where they give support?

I spoke with local support, I run a test like they told me, but witout any error code they could not help me...

9 Posts

June 25th, 2017 12:00

So, after some time, here I am.

All is working, but still no fingerprint sensor. Cheap Broadcom device.

I substitute Bluetooth/wifi card (also Broadcom) with an intel. Now, no bluetooth problems anymore.

To use Nvidia, I use nouveau and I boot without Optimus and all is working well (HDMI, DP and audio over HDMI and DP).

To use power save Intel, I boot wit Optimus enabled.(Only VGA mode and Audio from mini jack).

Now upgraded to Debian 9. All fine. I'm not using windows anymore from years.

About Dell support, no support at all. I will never buy a so expensive computer from Dell.

They give very little and not professional support only for windows (and when I asked for that support, they had a remore session in my pc and made some damage. I had to reinstalla the system because it was extremely unstable).

What I suggest is to reinstall Debian (or probably Ubuntu) from zero

1 Message

August 27th, 2017 20:00

Available for download now, Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS combines the Essex release of OpenStack cloud infrastructure and Canonical's new Metal as a Service provisioning tool in a proven, certified server platform, with support guaranteed until 2017.

No Events found!