Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PW

June 17th, 2003 00:00

Mandrake 9.1 on new 500M

Hi All,

Has anybody gotten Xfree to work on the 500M, I have tried to install the intel extreme graphics drivers but it makes no difference to the outcome of running startx. Does anyone have an XF86Config-4 they could "lend me" which works with this chipset.

The lappy specs are:

Inspiron 500M

1.5Ghz Pentium M

512Mb Ram

60Gb hdd

dvd/cd-rw combo

Regards

Pete

5 Posts

June 21st, 2003 06:00

Having the same problem.. X wouldn't run nicely with MDK9.1 on Inspiron 500m

The Intel 855GM uses dynamically allocated Video Memory. Thus upon bootup, only 832kb is available for use.

So in MDK9.1, I gotten it to run only in 640x480@64k. switching to 1024x768@256 KDE won't run since all the icons are rendered at 16bits.

My only wish is that Dell releases a new BIOS which allows the setup of the minimum graphics memory in the BIOS, which will solve all the problems.

BTW, putting the VideoRAM line in XFree86 config won't work.. since the BIOS refuses to cooperate.

OTOH, running RH9 in 1024x768@256 works fine.. I still get a GNOME workspace fully functional. I just like MDK9.1 more..

cheers,

BK

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2003 11:00

G'day BK,

I can;t see how the 832kb makes a difference at boot up, I boot into text then run startx, I can't even get 640x480, I probably just don't know enough about how it all works. Any chance of having a look at your XF86Config-4 file.. I tried compiling the intel stuff from their website and it compiles and installs ok, I just can get any further than a red background !!!

Regards

Pete

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2003 12:00

hi Pete,

Intel 852/855GM (the graphics chip used in 500m) uses dynamically allocated Video memory. Upon system bootup, BIOS allocates 896kb of video ram for basic use. The XFree 4.3 Server can only use 832kb of the total, thus it affects the resolution and colour you can select. (Check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log for details)

I have tried various configuration under MDK9.1 and so far can only get it to work at 640x480@64k

You can invoke drakxconf, select the above mode, and have a try.

btw, the dripkg from Intel is not required.. it's for RH7.3/8.0 etc.. the XServer which ships with MDK9.1 is the latest (4.3.0) with everything in

good luck,

BK

4 Posts

June 25th, 2003 14:00

Has anyone contacted Dell on this matter?

At least seeing if perhaps they plan on updating the BIOS with at least 1 more default video memory setting (or better yet, allow linux to reallocate that stuff)? And maybe a rough estimate as to when that new BIOS will come out?

I believe the D400 has this same problem (which I ordered a few days ago) and I would really like it fixed.

I'm guessing that Dell will just say "we do not support linux" and not give you a good timeline, but hey... could be lucky. =)

4 Posts

June 26th, 2003 14:00

Some updates here:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=386486

3 Posts

June 27th, 2003 09:00

Tried the patch given there on current XFree86 CVS (the patch just makes the driver apply the workaround for a similar problem on i830 to the chipset in the 500M). No improvements.

Now hoping for a BIOS with a higher default memory allocation, and a listed video mode for 1400x1050. Allocating 8 MB and adding that should solve a lot of problems.

Implementing the bios function so it can told to use a different amount of memory would be nice too, of course.

3 Posts

June 27th, 2003 10:00

Thanks for all the info guys an gals.

I will request further information or a fix from dell support, I would urge all of you to please do the same, that way it might get fixed.

Regards

Pete

4 Posts

June 27th, 2003 11:00

Hello Pete;

Just to say I am exactly in the same situation !!!!!
I am (trying) to contact Dell Support about that ...

5 Posts

June 27th, 2003 13:00

I dropped Dell AP support an email 'demanding' a new BIOS and stated that I wanted to run Linux.

The standard reply was that "Dell does not support Linux on Inspiron"

What's funny is that I never requested their support for Linux, merely asking for a BIOS which allows me to set minimum graphics memory!

I bought the notebook thinking that it's light (2.35kg), but after the battery and the DVD drive, it's not too light! I guess I should have done more research before I bought into this 'Centrino' marketing campaign. Intel's marketing department surely knows how to sell! :-)

Well, I am running Windows XP now.. after 3 years with Mandrake. "Resistant is futile??"

Cheers,

BK

4 Posts

June 27th, 2003 13:00

Bummer =(

Who are you guys contacting about this? I'd like to contact them regarding the D400 (same prob).

1 Message

June 29th, 2003 13:00

Hi,

This is very bad news for me.

I just ordered an inspiron 500m (to arrive this thursday) and planned to install mdk9.1 on it.

It seems, that our only hope is that dell will release a new bios that solves the memalloc problem.

Have any of you any experiences with dell (I don't - this is my first dell) ??
What are the chances that they will cooperate and release a new bios ?

I just need to know if I should hold on to the laptop and wait for an update or if I should return it immediately :-)

Regards
Mads

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2003 07:00

There's hope from Intel at least - here's a reply from an XFree developer:

It looks like Intel has an updated BIOS, and it's now up to Dell to update
theirs accordingly.

So now we just need Dell to update theirs and give us status on it.

(BTW, my tests were with Red Hat Linux, of course - not Mandrake)

8 Posts

July 20th, 2003 09:00

My Inspiron 500m suffered of the same problem so I wrote a patch that resolves this issue for me.
Take a look at http://www.mail-archive.com/devel%40xfree86.org/msg02247.html
I'm interested in whether it works for you, too, so please report if you decide to give it a try.

Christian

3 Posts

July 21st, 2003 06:00

This works great for me. Now the only problem left is to get it to run 1400x1050 on the display, as it's not one of the listed modes in the bios...

8 Posts

July 21st, 2003 07:00

I think support for 1400x1050 really would need a BIOS upgrade by Dell or a linux driver that doesn't use the BIOS to set modes. So I have no idea how to solve this. Luckily I've got a 1024x768 display so I don't need it myself. ;-)

Christian
No Events found!