Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2008 00:00

Mini 9 with ubuntu freezes

I bought and received a mini 9 with ubuntu about a month ago, and recently it has started freezing to where the only option is a hard reboot- not even Ctrl-Alt-Del works.  I am new to working with linux, and so have not had much luck in figuring out why it should be freezing, since there is no pattern to it- sometimes the mini freezes minutes after I turn it on, other times, an hour later.  However, if I turn it on and leave it on, it will freeze- and it tends to freeze more if I am not using it, when it is idle, though several times it has frozen while I have been working.

Everything I have heard of linux says that it is so stable, so I am really worried- is this a problem with my computer, or the operating system?  How can I tell, and how to fix it?

Computer is:  Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.0.4

47 Posts

December 15th, 2008 01:00

I have the same issue, any help would be great!

32 Posts

December 17th, 2008 04:00

a long shot but have either of you got the laptop set up to go to power off when idle? ie on standby (not hibernate)

You can find this set up within the system settings

4 Posts

December 17th, 2008 18:00

No, it's not the settings- I called up Ubuntu Dell help, and apparently, I have to reinstall Ubuntu to fix the problem.

2 Posts

January 15th, 2009 19:00

I see the same issue with a 2 week old mini 9 with essentially no changes over the out-of-the-box configuration (a couple shortcuts added to the dell launcher).

2 Posts

January 16th, 2009 11:00

Can you tell me how you like this opperating system?  Is it pretty easy to understand, connect to other computers or applications?  I can't seem to find very much information like this.  Thanks

3 Posts

February 6th, 2009 13:00

Did that fix the problem?  I am having this same freezing problem on a brand new (just a couple of days old) Inspiron Mini 9.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2009 13:00

I found interesting information in the Ubuntu big tracker:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-mini/+bug/300563

https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-mini/+bug/300784

In particular, Mini 9 users can check out this comment

https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-mini/+bug/300784/comments/2

For a potential workaround.

Has anyone tried upgrading to Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu 8.10) to see if it helps?

4 Posts

February 6th, 2009 16:00

I called up Dell Linux help, and after about 2 hours of system tests, the customer rep. told me that I had to reinstall Ubuntu on it from the disk- which, since I don't have a disk drive meant I had to send it in to them.  It works fine now, but, then again, it worked fine before the problem too.

Good luck with your computer!

37 Posts

February 27th, 2009 19:00

I like Ubuntu and I think it's easy to use.  But I've been working in IT for 2 years and I've used Windows, Mac and many different flavors of UNIX, including Linux, for years.  Ok, so I'm a geek.  

I think Dell's implementation of Ubuntu 8.04.01 with the Launcher is very easy to use.  I got my Mini 9 mostly for browsing the web and checking email.  It comes with Open Office 2.4, which is compatible with Office 2003.  It doesn't come with all components installed, but you can easily download them for free.  Don't even think about running Microsoft software on Ubuntu Linux.  Linux is designed to only run Open Source software.  If you want to learn more about Ubuntu Linux try this link:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/desktopedition

If you just want to try out Ubuntu Linux on your old computer you can download it here for free.  Just download the ISO file, burn it to a CD and boot your old computer from the CD.  

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05294

27 Posts

March 1st, 2009 17:00

Wow.  Your Custi rep is really not involved with Ubuntu often.  I RARELY recommend a complete install.  Check this out.  You are having problems with freezing?  Restart your XORG server.  CTRL - ALT - BACKSPACE.  It should take you to the login screen again.

I feel bad for the people who were told they need to re install.  That is like paying a lot of money at the stock market and getting bad advice.

2 Posts

April 7th, 2009 12:00

Hmmmm. I'm seeing the same sort of issues on a two week old Mini9 too, using Dell's Ubuntu 8.04LTS build too. Of the lockups that I recall, two the machine locked solid - no keyboard input, mouse pointer, etc. requiring the use of the power button, but on a third, same issue, but on pressing the power button I could shutdown, but nothing else.

There's nothing in any of the system logs to point to a problem. It could be an xorg issue, but ctrl-alt-del didn't work so I'm doubtful that ctrl-alt-backspace would help - I'll try that next time this happens - there's confidence in a new product, my first Dell.

Sigh.

Clem

3 Posts

April 13th, 2009 18:00

I just received my Mini 9 today, within an hour it had locked the keyboard & mouse, I had been trying to connect to my WiFi router with no success, then this happened.  nothing mentioned here is working.  I can't even find a phone number to call and when I try to use Support Chat it says I'm out of warranty?? Crazy that it just arrived directly from Dell and I'm already out of warranty.  I think I might send it back to get my money back.

Ugh....

Becky

4 Posts

April 13th, 2009 21:00

You'd probably get better service if you call them- I can't find the Linux number, but the main tech support number is:   1 800 624 9896.  It's 24/7.  They'll probably look up all your info- prepare to be on the phone at least 20 min before telling you the Linux number, but that one has really limited hours, 10AM-3PM Pacific Time if I remember right.  When I called, I was on hold for over an hour before I got through, given an hour's worth of tests, and finally told I had to reinstall Linux- since I don't have a disk drive I had to send it in.  Hopefully you'll have better luck.

3 Posts

April 14th, 2009 06:00

Here are the instruction I followed for the upgrade:

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2008/10/ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex-on-dell-mini-9.html

1 Message

April 22nd, 2009 07:00

I have also had a Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS for about a month.

I had intermittent freezes at startup where the background and mouse pointer would appear but the keyboard and mousepad would not operate leaving me with no option but to do a hard reboot.

Searching other forums suggested that using a wireless lan might be the problem. I was using a Linksys WRT54G router with wireless security set to WPA Pre Shared key and TKIP. My Mini9 was set to WPA Personal (with the same key)

Changing the security option on the router from TKIP to AES and making NO change to the Mini 9 has solved the start up problem.

Since trying this I have rebooted 15-20 times without a single freeze, previously the freeze would occur 1 in 2 boots.

I never had problems accessing free WiFi (e.g in hotels) which should have been a clue to the wireless security issue.

Hope this helps

No Events found!