Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

July 16th, 2007 02:00

Question about dual booting with Vista and Linux

I'm thinking of installing a version of Linux even though I have Vista on it already. How much space would be needed? Any information on dual booting/Linux would be helpful.

July 16th, 2007 08:00

I just did a dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu 7.04 which I downloaded and burned the .iso file to a disk and all went well it really simple. I'm just having problems getting network wireless driver and also the audio driver. Here is a step by step guide how to dual boot with Vista. http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first

Just download Ubuntu from here http://www.ubuntulinux.org/getubuntu/download but don't tick the box under download as this isn't the live cd. The live CD is where you can run Ubuntu off the disc without having to install it. Its just to get a feel for Linux and if you like it or not.

Inspiron 1501

MK36 AMD Turion

2 GB RAM

ATI 200MSeries

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

July 16th, 2007 14:00

So, I just download it, like how you normally download things, and then burn it to a CD. Then follow the directions on the other site, putting in the CD that I has the .iso file?

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

Plus, how much space is needed? I have around 41.1 GB of free space on my hard drive left and I didn't shrink it yet.

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

Have you still had trouble with the drivers in Linux?

Message Edited by S.C on 07-16-2007 10:50 AM

Thats enough I partitioned 10Gb for Ubuntu which was recommended on the link I left in my previous post as I has 30GB free space and I know have 20GB left to play around in Vista. So you have plenty of free room for Linux.

Inspiron 1501 MK36 AMD Turion 2 GB RAM ATI 200MSeries

Yes I am having problems getting my Wireless working. I am on Ubuntu now but through a wired Ethernet connection. Getting my graphics card driver was simple just go to system,administration, restricted drivers manager then the driver was listed there I downloaded via the wired connection. Also the audio worked straight away. I'm sure I will get my wireless working soon. Hopefully

July 16th, 2007 15:00

If you just follow the instructions from http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first and print them out or just make notes then I assure you will be fine. Its simple when you get going through. You won't loose windows unless you don't make any mistakes on the partition step. When you get to the partition step choose use the largest continuous free space or manual then just click on the partion you just created in disk managment. You can't be cautious when using computers as they can go wrong whenever they like as I know :smileysurprised: But its entirely up to you. If you are afraid of losing Vista then just boot from the CD and use Ubuntu Live.

Inspiron 1501

MK36 AMD Turion

2 GB RAM

ATI 200MSeries

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

July 16th, 2007 15:00

Ah. Not quite sure about the wireless internet problem. I'm a little bit of afraid of installing Linux as a dual boot because I don't want to lose Windows, which I probably won't, but I'm just cautious like that.

July 18th, 2007 06:00

not a good idea on an XPS laptop. Doing a dual boot with Fedora and Vista made my hard disk crash...

2 Intern

• 

503 Posts

July 18th, 2007 15:00

I'll just deal without Linux for now. Thanks for all the information.

July 18th, 2007 19:00

Your very welcome. I was unable to get the Wifi working under Ubuntu and i'm just going to wait for drivers to arrive if they do. For now I'm staying with Vista. I need an OS that works, and some and thats Vista in my case

Inspiron 1501

MK36 AMD Turion

2 GB RAM

ATI 200MSeries

40 Posts

July 19th, 2007 02:00

Give SimplMEPIS 6.5 a try, it's very good at detecting and setting up hardware automatically, especially wifi.
No Events found!