Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 22nd, 2010 18:00

Ubuntu 9-10 cannot be installed on E5410, BIOS A6. 8.10 ok

I know it may come from new display/timer or new kernel. I see people installed similar version on similar laptop, yet DELL may have different h/w on E5410 and Linux society may not fully awered.

8.10 ok; 9.10 live works for a while then hang, 10.04/10 cannot install gives black screen. Dell 10.04 adds DELL logo yet same thing. I tried to force text mode no help. I see people complain kernel panic.

Note E4310 has no problem found yet (BIOS A4). Can DELL people exchange info on how E4310 solves the problem?

DELL help desk has little help on Linux, or people unqualified. 1st sales transfer to tech support, I told him E5410 and he asked "laptop or desktop"? I told Ubuntu cannot install and he asked "what kind of s/w"? Then says "we have no facility", "you got to assk Ubuntu", even w/o tell me Linux support phone.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 23rd, 2010 06:00

DELL has Linux support phone number. Sorry I thought you are a DELL service.

First, this is a Dell user to user forum. I am a Dell PC owner just like you.

Second, if there is a  Linux support phone number, it is only for people who bought PCs that came originally with Linux installed. You did not, so you are on your own.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 22nd, 2010 19:00

I don't know why you are asking Dell about Linux that you are choosing to install on your own on the E5410. They are only required to support the version of Windows that came on the laptop.

You can purchse support for Ubuntu Linux at http://www.ubuntu.com/support/services

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 00:00

DELL has Linux support phone number. Sorry I thought you are a DELL service.

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2010 00:00

You don't know why I ask for DELL "support", yet then you ask me to purchase DELL support? Is the charged support better than I encountered? Or it just charge for minutes w/o guarantee to solve the problem?

Let me told you why: Linux users buy DELL just because they thought DELL is usable, and DELL support may know a simple solution, or at least, customer feedback can help DELL to improve. If E4310 works well and E5410 not, it seems to be DELL's problem.

No Events found!