Chaundon
1 Copper

Updating from 9.04 to 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 15n

Hello. I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 15n with Ubuntu 9.04 preinstalled on the system. Instead of trying first on my test pc or reading more online, I updated to 9.1 with unfortunate results. My mouse no longer works, I am using a USB wireless mouse instead. My Wifi seems to work, something that was not working 100% prior to the update. I have also noticed that I cannot enable desktop 'effects' so it was my guess that I needed to reinstall some sort of drivers from Dell. I also noticed that the Dell Repos were no longer in my list of repositories. I am interested in learning something new, but I am not an expert Linux user. What I want to know is should I try to figure everything out, or should I just revert back to using 9.04? Would a clean install be a good idea? Has anyone else successfully completed this upgrade? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have a 2nd system that is running 9.04 that is currently up and running. Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Updating from 9.04 to 9.1 on Dell Inspiron 15n

www.ubuntuforums.org has a Dell forum

0 Kudos
Chaundon
1 Copper

Yes I am a member and have posted the same question under the 15n thread. I have experienced more problems since posting, Totem and Rhythmebox result in reboot. No sound (that I can tell) at boot or any other point. I have started to move my data for a recovery. 😕

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I'm sorry to hear that 9.10 isn't working out for you.

9.10 works on my Latitude D400 and also my Dimension 4100 so I am not going back. I don't use Dell's files. I use the regular Ubuntu files.

0 Kudos
Chaundon
1 Copper

Yeah I am not sure what is going on. I have heard of other people having similar problems. I am sure a more experience user could fix the problems and go on, but for now I am going to wait for a later 9.10 release or the next LTS release to follow. It seems a fresh install is the best idea for upgrading Ubuntu anyways. I have other test PCs I may try a fresh 9.10 install on, I will keep you guys updated! 🙂

0 Kudos