Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 6th, 2018 16:00

When trying to boot from CD, no bootable devices found

Hello,

I just bough a Dell Inspiron 15 30000, which has Windows 10 already installed. However, I bought this laptop to do some research which requires me to install Scientific Linux instead.

I have changed by BIOS to Legacy, and when I try to boot from my CD/DVD Drive, I get the message "No bootable devices-- stike F1 to try reboot ..." etc. I understand various other people have had this issue but in a different context, windows 10 is actually working fine (ie, I can boot from the hard drive just fine)- I can go back into that, but I want to format the computer and install SL on it.

I have checked the CD drive by going into windows, and when I placed the boot DVD it could read the contents fine. I have also burned another CD and tried that, while also burning a live CD, all with the same result.

Any help on what I could do to get SL on this laptop would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

March 6th, 2018 18:00

Okay, I tried again, two times with an Ubuntu DVD I just burned, and two more times with the SL DVD. I get the same message, on a black screen (No bootable devices-- etc).

These are all CDs/DVDs I have taken from the office and they might be old, but as I mentioned, the computer can read the contents when in windows, and I've used one of the SL CD's to do an install on a VM. I'm kind of confused as to what could be wrong- I'm going to try live booting lubuntu from a USB next. Thank you for your time, any more suggestions are greatly appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Live CDs are suppose to be bootable, but that doesn't mean they are.

The quality of the blank media can be an issue.

Which is why I asked whether you tried booting from it. Put the CD in the tray. Reboot. Does Scientific Linux appear?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

@kebabvendor wrote:

Hello,

I just bough a Dell Inspiron 15 30000, which has Windows 10 already installed. However, I bought this laptop to do some research which requires me to install Scientific Linux instead.

I have changed by BIOS to Legacy, and when I try to boot from my CD/DVD Drive, I get the message "No bootable devices-- stike F1 to try reboot ..." etc. I understand various other people have had this issue but in a different context, windows 10 is actually working fine (ie, I can boot from the hard drive just fine)- I can go back into that, but I want to format the computer and install SL on it.

I have checked the CD drive by going into windows, and when I placed the boot DVD it could read the contents fine. I have also burned another CD and tried that, while also burning a live CD, all with the same result.

Any help on what I could do to get SL on this laptop would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How do you know that the CD you burned is bootable? Have you tried on another PC ?

Hello, thanks for answering. I have used the first CD I tried to install SL on a virtual machine on another computer, doesn't this mean that it is bootable? Also, I tried a Live CD, which as far as my, limited to be fair, understanding goes, is meant to be bootable.

Do you think I should try another Linux distribution, like Ubuntu?

March 6th, 2018 19:00

I have *kind off* solved my problem by using a bootable USB and installing Ubuntu for now. I am leaving this open because I'm not sure why the CD/DVD Drive didn't work (and I also dont have a USB large enough for SL, so a solution would still help me).

Thank you again to the user who took some time to try and help me out!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 7th, 2018 09:00

The Optical Drive doesn't show as a Bootable Device when Secure Boot is Enabled. Anyway as you've found out it is better to install using a Bootable USB.

March 7th, 2018 13:00

Thank for your post, but as I mentioned, I am in Legacy boot mode which has Secure Boot disabled, I have changed the Boot order already, this is not my problem.

After installing from a USB stick, Ubuntu seemed to work fine. However, after closing the computer, whenever I open it, one of two things happens (yes, I've changed the boot order with hard disk first):

a.Nothing- the laptop goes to a black screen, and stays there.

b.The Ubuntu login screen freezes.

A different USB stick with a lubuntu distribution freezes before the installation can even begin. My only doubts are to whether, perhaps, using a bootable USB causes a faulty install- I do not however have another choice.

I am assuming that this is a faulty laptop and am returning this to Dell. Service was helpful, however I am extremely disapointed that I have wasted over a day of research time, while on a tight deadline- no compensation was offered, and I was told that if I wanted a different OS, I would have to instead of replacing the laptop for a new one, return it and make a new order. After confirming the return, and 30 minutes into the call, I was informed that there are no OS available, apart from Windows. I wasn't actually lied to, but I was told half the truth, resulting in even more time being wasted.

While I proceeded to purchase another laptop from Dell, I have wasted a lot of personal and research time. When discussing the above problem, I was offered, instead of a solution, the choice to purchase a laptop with a better CD/DVD drive, for an increase in price by 300$. While stupidity is trying the same thing expecting different results, I am hoping that my next order will meet the tough criteria of having an actual bootable CD/DVD drive, for less than 500$.

No Events found!