Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 08:00

Where to find bios upgrades for XPS 16 laptop?

I am running Ubuntu 64bit on my XPS 16 laptop, and would like to ensure I have the latest bios release (specifically would like support for virtualisation of 64 bit guest under virtualbox, but that's a different story...)

I have found the page http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Tech/libsmbios_dellBiosUpdate about how to update the dell bios under linux, however cannot find a bios file for my system id (0x0272) in the firmware repository (http://linux.dell.com/repo/firmware/bios-hdrs/)

Am I looking in the wrong place?

452 Posts

May 28th, 2009 09:00

Have you tried going HERE and inputting your service tag?

10 Posts

May 28th, 2009 10:00

Yes. I have tried the web support site - which is why I know that there IS an updated bios available (A07 vs the A05 I am using). However...

- The downloadable bios file PA_A07_win.exe is windows only;  the installation instructions state to use a bootable DOS device for non-windows users.

- When I try executing PAL_A07_win.exe from a bootable USB key with DOS on it, I get the error message that the file cannot be executed in DOS.

So, while the installation instructions appear to be useful for non-windows users, it would appear that the BIOS update itself doesn't quite work in the described scenario.

Thus, my search for a linux-specific BIOS update file.

PS. Thanks for answering - if the above comes across a bit annoyed it's because I'm annoyed to have failed to upgrade my bios after having tried everything I could think of. I do not want to have to install windows just to update my bios, only to re-install Ubuntu again right afterwards. This would be a bit over-kill since I don't even know whether the A07 bios has the extra virtualisation options I am hoping for.

452 Posts

May 31st, 2009 15:00

When you enter your service tag under the operating system enter BIOS

No Events found!