Windows XP blue screen page fault error

Hi,

I have the following system:

Dell Latitude D620
Windows XP Professonal with Service Pack 2
Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz
1.00 GB RAM
74.4 GB hard drive

Recently, my computer would boot up and there would be double blue lines flickering on the screen. Sometimes, there would be a box of flashing lines that followed the cursor. Eventually, my computer would stop booting up, and I would get the blue screen with the following information:

Page fault in nonpaged area
Stop: 0x00000050 (0x9A4878F4, 0x00000000, 0x8052B6CC, 0x00000000)

From what I have read, this could be a software or hardware problem. I downloaded Memtest and ran that many times over long periods, but it did not find errors with my RAM (or at least what it could test).  I have scanned for viruses and malware using Symantic Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SUPER Antispyware, but it found nothing out of the ordinary. I am not sure if my registry is corrupted or perhaps the RAM on my video card is at fault, but the laptop starts up fine in Safe Mode and works well (making me think it is not the video/graphics card).  I did try a registry cleaner (Ccleaner), but that made things worse and I restored the backup registry.  I have run checkdisk and it did not find any kb in bad sectors.  I would like to know what I could do to fix my problem short of wiping out my system and reinstalling the operating system.   I have heard suggestions of clean boots or simply updating the video driver, but I am not sure what to do.

Thanks!

14.4K Posts

June 14th, 2009 08:00

do you remember about when this started to happen?Couple of things.

Try updating the video card driver. or I would boot into safe mode and use system restore to roll back to a time just before this started.

8 Posts

June 14th, 2009 09:00

I am not exactly sure when this started, but it may have coincided with the uninstallation of Ad-Aware.  The program wasn't working anymore, and I couldn't uninstall it with either Windows or its own uninstall program.  I directions on a bulletiln board for uninstalling it.  It simply involved manually deleting a specific file in the Ad-Aware folder, then it uninstalled.  Ad-Aware wasn't working anymore--it would not run or update, but simply crash.  I realized it was constantly trying to reach its server and causing my laptop to take forever to boot up.  Again, I'm not 100% positive, but it may have coincided with these events.

I will go to the Nvidia site and dowload a new driver and try that.  Any other suggestions?

8 Posts

June 14th, 2009 10:00

I uninstalled the Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M driver by going to Device Manager and right clicking and selecting uninstall.  I then went to the Dell page and downloaded and reinstalled the drivers (you cannot do it from Nvidia because they do not support this laptop and say to go to the OEM web page).  It did not solve the problem; I am still getting lines on the screen and/or lines in and around the cursor that follow it.  I have no idea what to do now.

8 Posts

June 14th, 2009 11:00

So I ran the Dell diagnostic CD and got the following error when it tried to test any of the display resolutions:

Error Code 5300:0119

Msg:  Detected a failure when writing and reading video memory. 

I did see online that this was a known problem of these Nvidia cards, but I already tried to update the drivers and it didn't help.  Should I update the BIOS?

8 Posts

June 14th, 2009 12:00

So I searched the error code from the diagnostic cd and came across this: http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx Looks like this is a common problem (but was hard to find) and I need to call Dell for a solution. I will keep you posted.
No Events found!