Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2010 06:00

Wireless connexion problem: Dell Latitude 2100 Ubuntu 9.0.4. WEP 40/128-bit key

The WEP key I am using to connect my netbook computers to the wireless router works OK on the Acer Aspire One netbook running Windows XP Home SP3, but will not connect to the Internet with the Dell Latitude 2100 netbook running Ubuntu 9.0.4.

It did once (when the technician first configured it). Then after the technician left the premises and I shut down the Dell netbook and restarted it, it failed to connect to the Internet, and it just keeps prompting with the Wireless Network Authentication Required dialog. Clicking "Connect" with the same WEP key fails.

Can someone offer some solution?

Thanks.

Dave Cooper
Roermond
The Netherlands

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 1st, 2010 08:00

Ubuntu has a netbook install. You might want to try that. Also, I would suggest trying a newer version of Ubuntu. The current version is 10.10 so you are 4 versions behind which is a lot.

3 Posts

November 19th, 2010 03:00

The solution to this problem was to set the Authentication to "Shared Key" and not "Open".

This allowed connectivity to the Internet via the Netgear wireless. It allowed me to make upgrades.

I then updated to Lucid LTS (10.0.4), however, there were wireless problems and I could not connect. I found no solution on the forums, although a lot of talk of the wireless problems.

The same issue existed in Maverick (10.10).

So I returned to Ubuntu 9.0.4. because I have to have wireless Internet connectivity and 10.04 and 10.10 on this device was too problematic.

No Events found!