Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

4 Posts

January 30th, 2019 08:00

XPS 13-9360, BIOS updated, freezes when using TB16 dock

I purchased the XPS 13 with Ubuntu preinstalled a year and a half ago. With that, I got a TB16 dock that I've been using to run two external monitors. It's worked just fine.

This morning I updated the BIOS firmware from 2.9.0 to 2.10.0

After the installation completed, the Ubuntu loading screen displayed and right before the login screen would appear, I just got the black background and a mouse cursor. The machine didn't respond to mouse, keyboard or remote SSH attempts. I unplugged the machine from the dock and USB headphones and hard rebooted.

It restarted fine. I plugged in the headphones without an issue. I plugged in the docking station and a few seconds later, got a black screen and no response to anything.

At this point, I decided to downgrade back to 2.9.0 using [these instructions](https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln171755/updating-the-dell-bios-in-linux-and-ubuntu-environments?lang=en) from Dell. Unfortunately, the exact same symptoms occur - if the dock is plugged in, the machine is entirely non-responsive.

How can I troubleshoot this problem? I need the use of the external monitors. Without the dock, the machine is behaving fine.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 30th, 2019 08:00

Click my name and private message me the XPS 13-9360 service tag number and the TB16 service tag number.

* Lid open, turn the XPS 13-9360 off
* Turn the two monitors off connected to the TB16
* Disconnect the TB16 power adapter from the TB16 (not from the wall, the TB16)
* Disconnect the TB16 from the XPS 13-9360

* Connect the XPS 13-9360 power adapter to the XPS 13-9360
* Power on and boot into the BIOS. Does it state version 2.9.0?
* Exit the BIOS and boot all the way into the operating system. Lid is still open

* Reconnect the TB16 power adapter to the TB16
* Two monitors are still off. Reconnect the TB16 to the already turned on, lid open XPS 13-9360. What happens?

4 Posts

January 30th, 2019 09:00

Chris,

When I reboot, BIOS says it is on version 2.9.0.

After Ubuntu loads, while connected to the wall adapter and the TB is unplugged, I get a notice that software updates are available. Ubuntu has been displaying this off and on for the past month or so. It is where I went to update the firmware earlier.

Upon plugging in the TB, about 3 seconds later, the screen goes black and the keyboard dims. The keyboard lights back up on key press or mouse movement, but there is no other indication that is is responding.

I've sent you the tags as requested, and sorry for this edited post. I attempted to fix a typo and update you on the PM error I initially got and it seems my response was cleared.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 30th, 2019 09:00

Check your private message. Is there another laptop there to test on the TB16?

No Events found!