Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

March 16th, 2019 09:00

XPS-15 9570 - After update, Grub/Ubuntu won't run

Update: I was able to get my Ubuntu booting failures fixed using boot-repair. First, I re-flashed my BIOS to 1.8.1. Then, I made a bootable USB drive with Ubuntu on it, booted into "live Ubuntu" on the USB, installed and ran boot-repair.

The problem did seem to be a direct result of the BIOS upgrade - I now have a ton of junk in my Grub menu.

Original post:

I recently updated my BIOS on my XPS-15 9570 to 1.8.1. 

I have a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Grub is used as the boot manager. After updating, the Grub menu no longer appears, and I boot straight into Windows. I downgraded my BIOS to 1.7, and the issue is still there. I believe I was running 1.8.0 or 1.7.0 before updating to 1.8.1. Note a 1.8.0 download is not available from Dell, so downgrading to 1.7.0 was my only option.

If I reboot and use F12 to get into the BIOS boot menu, I can see Ubuntu. If I select it, however, the SupportAssist recovery tools run and start performing tests. Eventually, the system reboots (into Windows). 

I don't know how all the firmware, recovery, etc. updates work, but when I downgraded my BIOS it only downgraded the BIOS itself, not other firmware (like "Embedded Controller," "Backup Embedded Controller," etc.). However, it seems like when the BIOS is updated, the other firmware is often updated alongside it. I suspect some other firmware update that came with the BIOS update is triggering this issue, where SupportAssist is run when attempting to boot into Ubuntu.

Any suggestions are appreciated. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2019 06:00

USB media introduces additional errors.

Its better to use a USB Blueray/DVD burner and boot from Burned Media.

The media is burned at 1X or 2X or 4X max.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

UEFI BIOS Secure boot will also have issues.

The best method for dual boot is to do Windows first.

Shrink the Partition with Disk Management.

Then Install UBUNTU Alongside windows making sure Secure Boot is disabled.

RESIZE Windows PartitionRESIZE Windows Partition

40 Gig set aside for Ubuntu

Make the EXFS 30 gig for the primary UBUNTU PartitionMake the EXFS 30 gig for the primary UBUNTU Partition

INSTALL ALONGSIDEINSTALL ALONGSIDE

1 Message

December 1st, 2019 12:00

I also encountered the exact same issue!  I ended up in the diagnostic boot loop.  I was able to partially repare my grub from a liveusb using startup-repair and got the bios pointed back at the grub EFI file through the BIOS panel, but grub won't show, it just boots straight to ubuntu after some sketchy flashing.  

More in a long line of absolutely horrendous firmware programming from Dell I'm afraid.  Not certain what to do, although I'm curious if a fresh install will resolve the issue.

No Events found!